DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Goodman GMP100-3 Forced Air Furnace Will Not Ignite

7K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Meerkat 
#1 ·
I have a Goodman GMP100-3 Forced Air Furnace that's about ten years old.

When the thermostat calls for the gas to come on, the forced air fan starts. A minute or so later, I hear a clicking noise, followed by the hiss (and faint smell) of gas. After about five or six seconds, the gas shuts off but the forced air fan continues to blow. It attempts to ignite again after about a minute. After three tries, the unit shuts down. The light on the circuit board flashes once, indicating ignition failure.

When the gas starts, I have been able to light the gas manually. (Yes, I know I'm begging for an obituary.) When I light the gas manually, the burners comes on and stay on. The sensor rod glows red and the unit operates normally until the gas turns off. Then the scenario repeats itself. If I'm not at the unit before it tries to light for the third time, the unit shuts down and will not restart until I have removed the lower cover and replaced it.

Is this something a DIY'er can fix, or do I need to call a professional (before I blow up my basement)?

#5 ·
The replacement hot-surface gas igniter came in today. It was a difficult extraction of the old one, but the new one went in easily. Now I have the OPPOSITE problem.

The igniter glows red now, but now the gas doesn't flow. I don't hear the click that I used to hear as the valve was opening. I tried turning the gas valve inside the unit off, running the unit, then turning it back on again.

So now the igniter works, but no gas flow.

Any ideas anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.