Goodman GMNT 80-4 Problem - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Goodman GMNT 80-4 problem

I have a Goodman Gmnt 080-4 six years old. This past summer the inducer motor and blower motor would come on without calling for heat.
I turned off power and let it sit rest of summer. Have turned power on and same thing happens. I also replaced flame sensor as furnace would try to ignite, and as soon as igniter went out gas would shut off. Replacing sensor corrected this problem. Furnace would function correctly blower would come on and heat the house. Thermostat would be satisfied and system would turn off, but after a few minutes the inducer would come back on. Any suggestions

Advertisement

onsetcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,600

Turn thermostat off, and see if it stops.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 836

What type of thermostat, make and model do U have? Some cheaper units are power stealing from the circuit board and cause that problem.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:50 AM   #4

I have disconnected the thermostat and it still comes on. It is a Honeywell RTH2300 and it is brand new.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Hvac Pro

Bad circuit board. Had problems with quite a few of them. The metal plate it mounts on comes loose on the blower and loses grounding to the board and damages it. You need to make sure it is mounted SECURELY on the fan with more and larger sheet metal screws and get a new board. The new board may be a retrofit so follow the info carefully.
onsetcharlie (09-25-2010)
Old 09-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #6

Thank you for your reply. I had the feeling control board was the problem. I spent years in tech support working on large electronic equipment for the printing industry and am well trained in trouble shooting. The problem is I do not have schematic for the control board except for wiring diagram. I will follow your recomendations.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
Hvac Pro

Make sure the furnace is properly grounded also. Check it to a copper water line/use a cheater extendo wire if necessary. A floating grounded is BAD news.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #8

Unhappy

Yuri
Just an update: I did check for ground between ground wire and water pipe I do have continuity. I also checked between ground and neutral wire 0 volts. I checked the pressure switch and it functions normaly.
I tried starting the furnace again and it acts as the flame sensor is bad. It is brand new and functioned properly after a few times. Thermostat called for heat, inducer started, igniter turned on, gas on, igniter off, blower on. Thermostat was satisfied and everything shut down, but after 10-15 minutes inducer would come back on by itself.
Now I am back to square one. I did find one of the screws loose that connects metal plate of the control board to the blower motor housing. I could actually move the plate up and down. I guess I go shoping for control board and another flame sensor just in case.
Any thoughts before I proceed?
Thanks in advance
Old 09-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

If the plate was that loose then you probably had a poor ground which can blow those boards. Not the best design eh?
Old 09-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #10

Yuri,
Thanks for your assistance. I know when i was in Tech Support (retired) I would like to hear back from people to see if their problem was solved.
I replaced the control board and another flame sensor (just in case) everything is up and running. It has been sitting for at least an hour and no inducer motor starting by itself. With the stat disconnected there was no reason the inducer should start as it receives power when the stat calls for heat. I just hope that this helps someone else out with this problem.

Thanks Again
Onset Charlie (Onset MA)
Old 01-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #11

Fan is making a loud sticking noise then fan shuts off and tries turn back on and sometimes does continuing to make noise and sometime does not, gave a light tap on the transformer and will kick back on Any suggestions.
BuzzardsBayGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsBayGUY View Post
Fan is making a loud sticking noise then fan shuts off and tries turn back on and sometimes does continuing to make noise and sometime does not, gave a light tap on the transformer and will kick back on Any suggestions.
yep........you will get a better response if you make your own thread and not hijack someone elses

Advertisement

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote