Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #1

Share |

Goodman GMH Trouble Shooting

I had a new GMH 950703BX 95% up/hor 2 stage 70k dual saver installed in my craw 6 months ago everything was fine untill last week I started to hear a noise when at start up. It sound like a low chirping sound almost like a bearing ? Hard to explain these noises. I went to the furnance opened the door and waitied for it to kick on and it was not coming from the blower fan side area. It is on the other side and this part has a small black plastic wheel on it that turns while running , if I spin the wheel by hand when the furnace is not on it make a sound like a chirp/ sounds like something is rubbing somewhere. What is this called and should it make any sound ?

HDZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #2

Sounds like you are describing the inducer motor on the vent end of the combustion chamber. It could be that the motor mounting has come loose if it is hanging horizontal, or the blower wheel could have come loose or out of alignment.

Does it sound like it's trying to turn with water build up around the wheel?

HVACDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVACDave View Post
Sounds like you are describing the inducer motor on the vent end of the combustion chamber. It could be that the motor mounting has come loose if it is hanging horizontal, or the blower wheel could have come loose or out of alignment.

Does it sound like it's trying to turn with water build up around the wheel?
Yes the induced draft blower,when I spin that plastic wheel i get the noise and that has to be where it is coming from. Im not real knowledgeable on this subject. The guy that installed my system turned out to be a real winner if you know what I mean. He actually did a very good job installing the whole unit and all new metal duct work in the deep craw space but all he did was ***** and bad talk about me the customer while he was doing the job saying he was getting screwed,bla bla, bla. He gave me a price and I agreed. Now if he would have brought the subject up in a professional manner i would have paid him more but after listening to what he was saying how these type of people will screw you over and the wording he used. Forget you is what I told myself. He did 99.9% of the job and never came back to finish it. I actually ran the last duct run myself and even plummed in the gas pipe to the furnance, I was pretty dam proud of my self for that. I did pay a local large company to come over and check for leaks and adjust the propane to specs. Now everyone knows the whole story. Back to the problem an alignment issue sounds interesting. Being loose also. How do you check for these problems or is this more then I want to tackle. Im a pretty hand on type person but if I have to I will have someone come over. I just like to get as much info as I can.
HDZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote