Goodman Gaspack Locksout In Middle Of Night - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

goodman gaspack locksout in middle of night

Hey I am working on a Goodman GPG10300701A gas pack. This started as a no heat call, when I got to customer site the limit switch in the blower was open. Went to replace it and found the wires off. I put the wires back on the switch and restarted the unit and everything worked great. Cleaned the unit for the customer and tested everything. The next morning I get a call - not working. So I go back to site and the unit is locked out. I reset the breaker and the bottom burner was not working. I test the Outlet pressure it is 8.5 I adjust it back down to 3.5 and the bottom burner comes on and runs. (I could do it the day before because my manometer broke.) So I did a combustion test just to make sure all was ok and it was. Tell the customer no charge head on my way. The next morning I get the same call. Get to unit - it is locked out again! I have checked the fan, filters, gas valve,limit switches, and roll out. I cant tell if it is a time thing or as air temp thing. When I get there and reset the unit, it worked great but it is 65 degrees outside. When it shuts off on the customer it is 45 or so and always at night.
Any clues

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement

wetbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,734

Sounds like a limit switch problem.

8.5" on the manifold. What is the incoming gas pressure. Unusual to have a nat gas service that provides 10" service. At least here it is.

Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #3

so I get here again this morning and the bottom burner is not firing. Check the gas pressure and it is 3.8. I've pulled the burners of nothing is clogged. If it was the limit switch it is a resetting switch. the roll out is manuel I have checked all three limits they seem fine.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 882

if it is locking out does the circuit board have a flashing led to tell you an error code?

most do and you may have to put some duct tape on the door switch so the code does not get erased when you open the door if it does not have a viewing window.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetbar View Post
so I get here again this morning and the bottom burner is not firing. Check the gas pressure and it is 3.8. I've pulled the burners of nothing is clogged. If it was the limit switch it is a resetting switch. the roll out is manuel I have checked all three limits they seem fine.
Many boards will lock out after X limit trips in 1 heat call.

Is the orifice dirty. Often I clean the burners and cross overs just to be safe.

I would be checking the heat exchanger, no telling how long it was firing at 8.5"wc.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
Hvac Pro

I think it is impossible to get 8.5" on the manifold. Highest I could ever get is around 4-5 with it screwed all the way down. The flame rollout would trip at that pressure and flames would fly out the front and burn wires.

Last edited by yuri; 10-25-2013 at 11:13 AM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #7

Sorry double post

Last edited by wetbar; 10-25-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #8

when I back the pressure down to 3.0 all 3 burners fire if I go up or down the bottom burner cuts out. I have cleaned the whole burner assembly pulled the Spuds out and checked Spuds as well. the light only blinks one time meaning lockout it doesn't say why it was locked out.

Last edited by wetbar; 10-25-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #9

And even then it runs for 5 minutes all the burners shut down but my gas pressures stays for 1 sec or so and then it recycle.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Flame sensor or pressure switch. Might want to pull the inducer, and check it vanes.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #11

Check the numbers on the orifices and see if they are 43 or if they are in the 54 range. With that gas pressure it could be one that at one time had a LP conversion kit installed. I ran into that this week. The customer neglected to tell me that the unit was switched fro LP to natural. It was doing the same thing. 8" pressure at the valve and one of the burners was not firing.
Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
Hvac Pro

no disrespect but, the spring inside the gas valve for the regulator controls the manifold pressure not the orifices. plus the problem would have occurred the first day they installed it that way not yrs later.

Last edited by yuri; 10-26-2013 at 10:02 AM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #13

Wow after three days of working on this darn thing I got it working. the reason it would work sometimes and not other is because of wind. Yes wind. . . . there is a recall all gpg10 and 12 and some 13. The inducer motor has a scoop that points down. if the wind blows hard enough, it will be pulled back in for the primary air. There is a recall kit that comes with new doors and a new scoop that points the flue out instead of down. I could not freaking believe it, but works like a champ now!
Old 10-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #14

My point was that the orafices would tell you if the valve had been converted without a sticker. I don't know about your LP kits up north but here we change the spring and the orafices. I serviced a unit this week that was hooked up to natural gas. I installed the unit three years ago and hooked it up to LP at the time. The homeowner decided to switch to natural and failed to notify anyone. Anyway glad you got it working.

Advertisement

Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote