Goodman Gas Pack Outside Fan Problem - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Goodman Gas Pack Outside Fan Problem

Hi-I am new to this site and am totally clueless about HVAC issues-however
I would love to avoid a large repair bill if possible.Anyway,this past summer the ac completely quit on my gas pack,which is about 7 years old.Nothing but air blows in.We just used window units for the rest of summer,and planned to have it repaired in fall.So I tried the heat today and it works fine-it is just that the outside fan is not working.It makes a humming sound intermittently like it is trying to turn,but it won't.I tried to turn it by hand to get it to start-it spins freely but will not work.I would like to know if it is safe to run the unit without the outside fan working until we can get it repaired.
Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

tmbenner2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

Goodman Gas Pack Outside Fan Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbenner2004 View Post
Hi-I am new to this site and am totally clueless about HVAC issues-however
I would love to avoid a large repair bill if possible.Anyway,this past summer the ac completely quit on my gas pack,which is about 7 years old.Nothing but air blows in.We just used window units for the rest of summer,and planned to have it repaired in fall.So I tried the heat today and it works fine-it is just that the outside fan is not working.It makes a humming sound intermittently like it is trying to turn,but it won't.I tried to turn it by hand to get it to start-it spins freely but will not work.I would like to know if it is safe to run the unit without the outside fan working until we can get it repaired.
Thanks in advance!

If your talking about the blower motor ( that blows heat into the house) Don't use the unit until this is repaired. If your talking about the vent motor . The unit shouldn't even come on . If it's either motor donot use until repaired

Advertisement

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote