Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Goodman furnace problem

My Goodman GMP075-3 furnace for the second floor of my home is acting up. Here's the pattern some of the time.
Thermostat calls for heat
Inducer fan starts- sometimes stops and tries to start again, sometimes runs and the ignitor starts lighting the burners. Will run for about 2 minutes the shuts down. Sometimes it will run for however long is necessary to satisfy the thermostat, sometimes not, and will shut down before reaching temp and then the inducer may cycle on and off not igniting the burners.
I suspect a control board problem, but sometimes the unit runs just fine.
It is in my attic I have checked the exhaust pipe and pressure switch/ no obstructions and working properly. Also tstat is AOK. Any ideas?

Thanks
ACB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #2

Goodman furnace problem

is the condensation draining away and not freezeing up somewhere attics are the worst possible place for a condensing furnace unless of course its heated
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #3

Goodman furnace problem

The gmp is a standard efficiency furnace, does not condensate. Next time it fails get the number of flashes, if any, from the circuit board diagnostic light.
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:17 PM   #4

Question

Goodman furnace problem

There are no flashes from the diagnostic light. It is constantly on. I think I mentioned that it does occasionally run through the cycle without a hitch, though the most noticable problem (other than lack of heat) is when the inducer fan seems to start and stop, or fail to run properly at the beginning of the cycle. It may just tick on and off for anywhere from 1 to 5 seconds before cycle failure. But no light on the board to indicate the failure.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #5

Goodman furnace problem

It could be a thermostat problem. The best way to check this is to by-pass the thermostat. To do this you need to connect the white and red wires together, either at the thermostat or furnace. If when by-passed, the furnace fires and runs replace the thermostat. If it doesn't work right it could be a loose wire, high or low voltage, check the plugs and connections. It could be a board but maybe not.
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SKIP4661 For This Useful Post:
Laurie27 (11-06-2010)
Old 01-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #6

Question

Goodman furnace problem

Thanks. I have two of the same type t-stats (other is in use for the first floor furnace, and that works without problems) and I have swapped them with the same result. I will try the by-pass just to confirm though.