Goodman Furnace - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Goodman Furnace

A couple years ago I installed a new Goodman 95% two stage gas furnace and now it intermittently stops working. When it stops I get a pressure switch indicator light on the board, and I can hear a hum coming from the blower motor. If I had crank the blower motor to break the inertia I can get it going again, and it lasts several days, then the same thing. I am wondering if anyone can tell me if this is a common issue, and whether it is a blower motor or pressure switch issue. Thanks.

Advertisement

dkidwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,220

Goodman Furnace

If a pressure swich does not close (or opens during operation) than the blower motor should not get the signal to even try to come on, there should be no humming as there should not be power to the blower.

From here I'm suspecting you simply need to remove the hose from the pressure switch to the draft inducer motor, make sure the tube is clean as well as stick an unfolded paper clip into the ports the tube connects to, one on the pressure switch and one on the draft inducer motor.

If you have two pressure switches than both of those ports.;

Advertisement

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 266

Goodman Furnace

Some of the inducer motors use a small capacitor to give the motor a little boost when running. Could be if yours has one that it could be bad. It could also be that the motor is faulty, don't know much about Goodman as there is no dealer in my area, but I would expect that the parts should still be on warranty if there is an issue.
HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #4

Goodman Furnace

Thanks Doc,

I will try the paper clip trick, but I have already blown through the hoses from both sides to make sure there were no obstructions. It seems clear. Everytime I play with the inducer motor, coaxing it along for a couple minutes, if fires up and everything runs well for another few days.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Goodman Furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVACDave View Post
Some of the inducer motors use a small capacitor to give the motor a little boost when running. Could be if yours has one that it could be bad. It could also be that the motor is faulty, don't know much about Goodman as there is no dealer in my area, but I would expect that the parts should still be on warranty if there is an issue.

I live in Goodman's home town. Close to 8 or 10 main manufacturing and distribution centers here.

They are bigger than Carrier, Hunton Trane and and Lennox combined.

Goodman owns April Aire (box coils) and Quiet Flex as well as a few other hvac related business'.

Anyway, the cap very well could be the issue on the draft inducer. I agree.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #6

Goodman Furnace

Is the capacitor plug and play or is it soldered? Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that it is a capacitor and not a motor issue. Thanks guys for the help.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 266

Goodman Furnace

The ones I'm accustomed to have a small capacitor that looks like a little square black box about 1 inch wide by 2 inches long, should have 2 stake on terminals that wiring plugs into from inducer motor. (this is assuming your unit has one at all)
HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

Goodman Furnace

See the little silver oval-ish metal can strapped to the motor with two wires? That's the run capacitor.

If you have a meter that tests mfd you can find out for sure if it's good or you can simply remove it and take it with you to Grainger and purchase a new one. You're going to need the same mfd numbered cap as is there.

Less than $10 part, maybe a slight bit more at Grainger.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #9

Goodman Furnace

Beautiful, I will start there. If it works I owe the 90 bucks you just saved me. Plus, I will pay in your beer of choice if ever you are in Chicago. Thanks so much, guys.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
I'm Your Huckleberry

Goodman Furnace

If you do not have a capacitor on the inducer than I'll walk you through how to bypass everything, all pressure switches and control board, to see if the inducer starts every time.

I'm taking it it is the inducer and not the blower motor that is humming and not starting, right?
Old 11-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #11

Goodman Furnace

Yes Doc, I misspoke on original post. It is the inducer motor. I don't remember seeing a capacitor, but I wasn't looking for it either. I will check it all when I get home. Unforturnately, or perhaps fortunately for my family, it is in "running well" mode right now.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #12

Goodman Furnace

I know how difficult it must be for you guys to enjoy your holiday given the suspense behind this furnace repair, so I thought I would update you following your very helpful advice.

There was no capacitor on the inducer motor, but I did replace the motor and everything seems to be working great now. Your advice was very helpful, saved me hundreds of dollars. Again, thanks for everything.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 500

Goodman Furnace

another happy camper
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 260

Goodman Furnace

The next step in this repair is to take the old motor/fan apart and fix it so you have a spare. I am guessing that your brushes are worn or stuck or the commutator is dirty. Trust me, if you take your time and use your eyes, ears and touch, you can take almost anything apart. If you can take it apart, you can then find the problem. after that putting it all back together should be easy.... besides,, it was already broken, you really cant break it anymore!!!

Advertisement

bobinphx is offline   Reply With Quote