Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2012, 02:34 AM   #1

Share |

Goodman CPLE24-1C a/c tripping breaker

Hello all,

As it is starting to warm up we started to run our A/C and noticed it wasn't cooling the house. The fan was blowing so I went down and checked the breaker and sure enough the two 30amp breakers for the A/C were tripped. I flipped it and it held for a second and tripped again. Multiple attempts resulted in the same outcome, it would trip within seconds. I went outside and pulled the disconnect switch, went back and flipped the breaker, and it held. So I go back outside and reinstall the disconnect switch. I hear a slight humming sound and then a little click. After returning to the basement I see that the breaker has tripped again.

One thing of interest is that all this happened with the A/C turned OFF at the thermostat. If the thermostat was set to A/C the breaker trips even faster and even sparks.

I am a first year electrical engineer student who was recently laid off from work. So needless to say I would really like to try to diagonse this issue myself for financial and knowledge reasons. Thanks in advance for any assistance guys
BraDolMag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #2

Goodman CPLE24-1C a/c tripping breaker

Start with a visual inspection looking for burn marks or mouse chewed wires. If it's not that break out the meter and see which component is shorted to ground.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, breaker, central air, goodman, trip