Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
Cruising into the sunset

Share |

Goodman Condenser

We have a Carrier furnace with a Carrier encased coil and Infinity controller already installed. We've been trying to save for the condenser (with installation) but something keeps coming up that needs to be done. Someone suggested having a Goodman condenser installed and said the cost would be about half. We just want some relief on those crazy hot days.

Would the Goodman cool the house as well as a Carrier? If we went with a 2-stage 18 SEER unit, would we see about the same electrical consumption?

What are the down sides to going Goodman?

JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #2

Goodman Condenser

You need to post the model number of the coil, so someone here can tell you what a good match would be for the new outdoor unit.

Goodman is fine, just as dependable as a Carrier.

Was a load calculation done on the home? No high seer unit will be worth a darn, if its oversized.

sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #3
Cruising into the sunset

Goodman Condenser

The furnace is 58MVB080-14 and the coil is CAPVP4421ACAAAAA. I'd like to get an energy efficient condenser.

The Manual J came up with a 3 ton unit and the Carrier unit they priced out was a 24ACB736A.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #4

Goodman Condenser

Goodman will save you money, upfront. But most likely cost more in the long run. Consumer Reports, if you believe those, rates Goodman way lower than Carrier for having more repairs. Regardless of brand, you can buy a high efficiency Goodman, Carrier, or any other brand.
James Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #5

Goodman Condenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Barrett View Post
Goodman will save you money, upfront. But most likely cost more in the long run. Consumer Reports, if you believe those, rates Goodman way lower than Carrier for having more repairs. Regardless of brand, you can buy a high efficiency Goodman, Carrier, or any other brand.
Lets not go there. The problem with Consumer reports is, homeowners write in with their complaints, we dont know who installed the equipment and how their equipment was installed.

I would venture to say that the majority of systems that are judged on CR, are assembled on site split systems.

I live in packaged unit country and the great thing about those, is that they are completely assembled and test ran in a factory. If everyone in the nation had a factory assembled packaged unit, I bet they would all have similar reliability ratings. As far as what I see on all the residential rooftops in my city, Goodman is outnumbering the rest by a long shot and they are holding up very well.

The problem with Goodman, is that they sell all over the internet and are available to everyone and after someone installs it improperly, they get all over
the internet and complain about it when it breaks down. Rheem is very available all over the internet also but the price on Rheem equipment is much higher.
sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #6

Goodman Condenser

I don't know what the match up would be but like myself I have a 10 year old 4 ton 9 seer Goodman and dreaming of a outside unit match up like a 19-22 seer Trane or even Goodman. But the problem for me is its an r22 system which Im assuming yours is R22 as well. Since most new outside units designed for R22 don't come without refrigerant (empty), this is just another added cost the installer will gouge you for probubly $200 per pound. So you might as well go with a complete new matched for R410A.
CWO4GUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
Cruising into the sunset

Goodman Condenser

The furnace and coil are both two years old and set up only for R410A. We couldn't afford the complete package so we just had the interior work done. All that we need now is the condenser but the Carrier contractors around here are all quoting $4K+.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #8

Goodman Condenser

What size condenser do you have now?... 4k in my area sounds a bit pricey especially if it is a 410a system but thats my opinion.
a.man1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:22 AM   #9

Goodman Condenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
The furnace and coil are both two years old and set up only for R410A. We couldn't afford the complete package so we just had the interior work done. All that we need now is the condenser but the Carrier contractors around here are all quoting $4K+.
OK so the system you have now is ONLY 2 years old and the condenser/compressor is toast after only 2 years. Well if cooling is your only problem maybe you can hang on as fall is around the corner, and save like crazy until next spring and include the inside unit as well for a complete system. Most all of our units here in this 300 home bedroom community has Goodman split 3-5 ton units installed by the same company for the past 10 years. Haven heard of any complaints and only heard of 1 compressor failure ($900 install) and two outside fan unit failures.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:25 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Goodman Condenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.man1302 View Post
What size condenser do you have now?... 4k in my area sounds a bit pricey especially if it is a 410a system but thats my opinion.
They are probably quoting a communicating condenser to match the communicating furnace and controller the OP has. Those units are not cheap. Remember they are also looking at a 2 stage condenser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWO4GUNNER View Post
OK so the system you have now is ONLY 2 years old and the condenser/compressor is toast after only 2 years.
The OP didn't get a new condenser when they got the new furnace and coil. So they don't have a condenser that died after 2 years.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #11

Goodman Condenser

You are right two stage and 18 seer at 4k doesn't sound too pricey... I mispoke.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #12

Goodman Condenser

Brands make a different to some extent but the real difference is in the installation of the condenser... You can pay for the most expensive high end unit with all the bells and whistles but if it is installed by someone who takes no pride in his work and doesn't install it correctly then it makes no difference... An inexpensive unit installed correctly is better than a high end unit installed incorrectly.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #13
HVAC Tech/Owner

Goodman Condenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.man1302 View Post
Brands make a different to some extent but the real difference is in the installation of the condenser... You can pay for the most expensive high end unit with all the bells and whistles but if it is installed by someone who takes no pride in his work and doesn't install it correctly then it makes no difference... An inexpensive unit installed correctly is better than a high end unit installed incorrectly.
I agree with this.

However,

It would be a shame to have a furnace and infinity controller with all the bells and whistles and then cripple it with a non communicating condenser.
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Goodman Condenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technow View Post
I agree with this.

However,

It would be a shame to have a furnace and infinity controller with all the bells and whistles and then cripple it with a non communicating condenser.

A crying shame.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #15

Goodman Condenser

Well if you have any kind of basic tool skills you could buy the EPA tutorial guide just a few pages of questions with all the answers for the memory test. After about 4 hours of study you could pay the proctor at the local community college to give you the test. I passed all sections with 96% and got my universal certification. Then just research procedures on how to install the outside unit to the existing lineset , connect, vacuum, and open the system charge all on YouTube. With just the outside unit to install it will be easier then installing an entire mini-split. The contractors are butting at the bits for that 2 hour/2K job!