Goodman - Blower Quirks - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Goodman - Blower Quirks

I have a goodman GUN furnace from early 90's. It has a symptom that has come up that has me puzzled. The air conditioning works fine in summer. When the furnace calls for heat the induction blower turns on, and runs forever, then the heater will light and run but not for more than 2-3 minutes then the cycle starts again. The furnace will not keep up with the heat demands doing this. If I turn the blower to the on position on the thermostat instead of the automatic setting, the furnace will run as it should and heats the house up within 5-10 minuts. Does anyone have any ideas what to check?

Advertisement

wagsterracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:57 PM   #2

Goodman - Blower Quirks

Do you notice a difference in airflow out of the registers when the fan is in auto vs. manual fan? If you do, in auto, heat calls for the low fan speed and with the fan in the on position it calls for a higher speed. I have had the situation where one fan speed burns out or operates at a slower speed than it should and overheats and cycles the furnace. On one furnace with this problem, I just switched the fan speed to a higher speed and its been working fine for the last five years.

Advertisement

shawn T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:20 AM   #3

Goodman - Blower Quirks

There does not seem to be a substatial difference in the airflow. The thing that confuses me is the induction fan will run 5-10 minutes before the furnace will fire and turn on the main blower. If the furnace calls for heat and I immediately turn the blower to on instead of auto, the furnace will fire within a minute and cycle normally.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:23 AM   #4

Goodman - Blower Quirks

Could the sensor that senses the draft inductor be going out? And would the blower being on make enough pressure difference to let it run normally?