Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Goodman 6 flashes fails to light after fan

I have a 2-year-old goodman 95% furnace with non-variable fan. I'm not sure of the model number. It worked fine last year and never gave us any issues. This year it began acting up on Christmas. I would hear the fan cycling with no heat. I checked and it was flashing 8 times.

I called the guy who installed and he came out and said it was a bad ignitor which he replaced. It was then OK for about 2 weeks and the same issue started again. The termo calls for heat, the unit cycles on and fan starts, I never hear gas flow and after about 20 seconds it shuts off. It repeats every 5 minutes or so and sometimes eventually lights. If I power the unit off and immediately try again it again fails to light. If I power off and wait ~30 minutes it lights fine and generally continues to cycle OK for about 12 hours or so.

I called a 2nd tech to look at it and he immediately suspected water in the vent lines. There was none. He then cl;eaned and check and said his suspicion was a) goodman sucks b) the unit was not getting sufficient air c) the unit is over-sized for out home/ducting d) the flame was turned too high. He adjusted the flame lower and told us to keep all registers open.

The unit then worked without issue for another 2 weeks or so and has now started it's issue again.

We power off for ~30 minutes and then it works for 12 hours or so.

Here's a few suspects that I have:

1) gas pressure is low (I don't believe either tech checked this) and the unit seems to work worse when we use a lot of hot water (gas water)

2) The vent lines are clogged. (I haven't checked yet due to snow/mud)

3) The circuitry is bad

4) The unit is truly over-sized for the house/ducting

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!

barnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

which blower is coming on,inducer motor or fan on bottem of furnace?
1-stat calls for heat
2-inducer motor begins to spin creating vacuam which closes pressure switch next to inducer motor.
3-pressure switch sends signal to board which in turn heats hot surface igniter.
4-once igniter lights/heats up gas valve opens to light burners
5-flame sensor(thermo couple replacement)senses flame and keeps burners lit,if no flame is detected shuts down gas valve
6-once furnace reaches temp blower motor comes on to circulate air through house.
are these things taking place,which one does it stop at?
how are the combustion/flue pipes attached to furnace?
can you remove flue pipes from top of furnace and try to operate it shortly?(open doors/windows while doing this) if furnace runs,check flue pipe and combustion air pipe.
what size of gas line is feeding your furnace and dryer?
most furnace warranty issues are caused more by install issues than anything to do with a brand name in my experiance anyway.
got any pictures of install?

plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
1-stat calls for heat
2-inducer motor begins to spin creating vacuam which closes pressure switch next to inducer motor.
3-pressure switch sends signal to board which in turn heats hot surface igniter.
4-once igniter lights/heats up gas valve opens to light burners
5-flame sensor(thermo couple replacement)senses flame and keeps burners lit,if no flame is detected shuts down gas valve
6-once furnace reaches temp blower motor comes on to circulate air through house.
can you remove flue pipes from top of furnace and try to operate it shortly?(open doors/windows while doing this) if furnace runs,check flue pipe and combustion air pipe.
most furnace warranty issues are caused more by install issues than anything to do with a brand name in my experiance anyway.
I have a thread with close to the same problem:
Heater will not stay on

with mine it's #5 on your list, except a flame starts, but it still shuts down. It never reaches the desired temp to blow thru the house
HAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #4
retired elect/hvac/plumb

if lame comes on but doesnt stay lit id pull the flame sensor out(usually just one screw to remove) be carefull removing the wire if you need to remove it.
if flame sensor has any white/black crud on it clean it with fine steel wool and reinstall.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:40 AM   #5

Quote:
1-stat calls for heat
2-inducer motor begins to spin creating vacuum which closes pressure switch next to inducer motor.

It stops after step 3 and then flashes 6 times in the lower window LED.
After a power rest (~30 minutes) It run as normal and brings the house to the requested heat.

Quote:
The flue pipes are attached to the top of the furnace one is stepped down from 4 inch to 2 inch at the furnace. the other is also stepped but has a small rubber section to allow some give. Presumably because the install was not perfect and the pipe wouldn't reach perfectly.

Quote:
can you remove flue pipes from top of furnace and try to operate it shortly?
It operates fine after a reset so I believe the flues are OK?
Quote:
Gas line is 1 1/4" to house and the stepped down prior to water heater and furnace to 1"
Quote:
I would assume so too...the ignitor was replaced and that didnt help so most likely install issue?

Quote:
pictures here
http://imgur.com/a/J6NrG
Old 02-10-2011, 12:51 AM   #6

Quote:
if lame comes on but doesnt stay lit id pull the flame sensor out(usually just one screw to remove) be carefull removing the wire if you need to remove it.
if flame sensor has any white/black crud on it clean it with fine steel wool and reinstall.
In my case when flame comes on it stays lit and works fine.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
retired elect/hvac/plumb

try removing the vacuam line from the inducer motor and sucking through the hose,you should hear the contacts inside pressure switch close when you do this then open when you stop.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:00 AM   #8

Quote:
try removing the vacuam line from the inducer motor and sucking through the hose,you should hear the contacts inside pressure switch close when you do this then open when you stop.
I assume I open the lower panel to get to these hoses? can you explain in more detail? It's running now so I'd rather wait until we have a fault again. Can you explain your thought process for troubleshooting?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:03 AM   #9

Hey Barnis, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, it was just getting cold in here and I didn't know really what to do.

To plummen:
I thought it might have been a blocked flue, took it loose and nothing changed. put it back and nothing changed.

I took the door off to maybe see if I could visually see a problem, once I took the door off, everything is working fine now.

I wasn't a brute when taking the door off, and I think the only wire I could have moved or touched when taking off was the two yellow wires in the second pic.

I am scared to put the darn door back on. can you tell me which wire I might have to work with to make it stay working properly?
Attached Thumbnails
Goodman 6 flashes fails to light after fan-dscn0105.jpg   Goodman 6 flashes fails to light after fan-dscn0106.jpg   Goodman 6 flashes fails to light after fan-dscn0107.jpg   Goodman 6 flashes fails to light after fan-dscn0108.jpg  
Old 02-10-2011, 01:06 AM   #10
retired elect/hvac/plumb

its a black or grey rubber hose inside top cabinet.
one end is hooked to a barb on the inducer motor other end is hooked to a round plastic canister/switch with 2 wires coming off of it.
definately wait till it quits working again before checking it ,or wait till you have some warm weather
Old 02-10-2011, 01:06 AM   #11

Or maybe that little black thing in pic #4... that might have wiggled a little when the door was removed. It's part of the other door.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:07 AM   #12
retired elect/hvac/plumb

thats a door safety switch,if its open nothing will work
Old 02-10-2011, 01:12 AM   #13

Quote:
its a black or grey rubber hose inside top cabinet.
one end is hooked to a barb on the inducer motor other end is hooked to a round plastic canister/switch with 2 wires coming off of it.
definately wait till it quits working again before checking it ,or wait till you have some warm weather
Is there any harm in opening either the top or the bottom panel (assuming it's warm weather?

Is your thinking that the pressure is not getting created? Would I get a 6 flash error with that?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:13 AM   #14

Quote:
thats a door safety switch,if its open nothing will work
ok, so not that thing. Do you see what else I could have wiggled when taking that top door off?

Those two yellow wires?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:19 AM   #15
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnis View Post
Is there any harm in opening either the top or the bottom panel (assuming it's warm weather?

Is your thinking that the pressure is not getting created? Would I get a 6 flash error with that?
you can open either door anytime,not sure about the fault code numbers.
im used to having the furnace sitting in front of me,if you were within 100 miles of louisville ne id probably just drive over and look at it for ya,retirement is boring!