Goodman 18 SEER Heat Pump Problems - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 54

Goodman 18 SEER heat pump problems

Hi:
I have just installed a Goodman 3 ton 18 SEER heat pump in my house. I chose the Comfortnet thermostat so everything is set up in the two wire communicating mode.

The setup was completed on Monday and everything looked great. I powered up the heat pump and then powered up the air handler. The thermostat recognized both correctly. I set up the thermostat and all seemed to be going great.

The thermostat was set to cool. The compressor in the heat pump came on immediately and I went to check the air handler. This is where the problems started.

The A coil instead of getting cooler began to get very hot and the fan did not come on. I turned the power off at the air handler and then turned the power off at the heat pump.

A check at the heat pump showed the liquid and suction lines both at about 550 psi.

I figured that I would go back to the beginning and try again. The thermostat was disconnected from the system and I powered up the heat pump again.
This time the compressor came on immediately even though there was no signal for it to do so.

Comments?

Advertisement

fljoslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 129

Did you replace the furnace too?

Advertisement

Bitters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitters View Post
Did you replace the furnace too?
The old furnace was electric forced air.

It was "replaced" by 15 kw of resistive electrical heating elements in the new Goodman air handler.

The DIP switches in the air handler were set correctly for the 15 kw of back up heating.

Everything was purchased as a complete matching package.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #4

I think you picked a good system, I have installed several Goodman's. 550 psi? Did you measure this when the unit was off? With that kind of pressure there has to be a restriction some where. Did you opened both service valves on the condenser.

Last edited by Bitters; 07-30-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #5

Did you pull a vacuum on the system?
Old 07-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Did you pull a vacuum on the system?
The install was by the book except that I used argon instead of nitrogen. Brazed using 15% Ag with Cu/P and an argon purge. Pressure tested at 200 psi with argon for 8 hours. Vacuum pumped out with a 2 stage pump for 2 hours.
The pressure test and vacuum test held.

When I let the R410a out of the compressor into the system I opened the suction line side first and then the liquid line side once the pressure had equalized.

I think that the reversing valve is defective causing the heating instead of cooling.

It also appears that the computer board is defective now although it was not at initial start up.

My best case scenario, assuming this to be correct, is that I can un-freeze the reversing valve and replace the board.

Should the reversing valve need to be replaced then the R410A would need to be removed first. This would require an HVAC technician or the expenditure of about $700 to get the necessary equipment. I am not opposed to the later.

Any comments on these observations.

Just read a previous question: The 550 psi was with the compressor running and everything very hot and was the same pressure on the high and low side.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljoslin View Post
The install was by the book except that I used argon instead of nitrogen. Brazed using 15% Ag with Cu/P and an argon purge. Pressure tested at 200 psi with argon for 8 hours. Vacuum pumped out with a 2 stage pump for 2 hours.
The pressure test and vacuum test held.

When I let the R410a out of the compressor into the system I opened the suction line side first and then the liquid line side once the pressure had equalized.

I think that the reversing valve is defective causing the heating instead of cooling.

It also appears that the computer board is defective now although it was not at initial start up.

My best case scenario, assuming this to be correct, is that I can un-freeze the reversing valve and replace the board.

Should the reversing valve need to be replaced then the R410A would need to be removed first. This would require an HVAC technician or the expenditure of about $700 to get the necessary equipment. I am not opposed to the later.

Any comments on these observations.

Just read a previous question: The 550 psi was with the compressor running and everything very hot and was the same pressure on the high and low side.
I should add that I checked the pressures the following morning with ambient temperatures near 65 F and the system not running overnight.

The high and low side were both at about 175 PSI.

This seems pretty reasonable form the following link:

http://www.advantageengineering.com/...tageFYI289.php
Old 07-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #8

It sounds like you did everything right. The only time you want to see the same pressure on high and low is when the unit off and equalized. 500 psi is a real problem. Check to make sure the bulb on the TXV is mounted correctly.If the Rev valve is not shifting all the way that could be your problem. Pull the plug on the R valve and make sure you have 24V.There should be 24V when in cooling mode.

Last edited by Bitters; 07-30-2014 at 05:07 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 07-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,480

Quote:
It sounds like you did everything right. The only time you want to see the same pressure on high and low is when the unit off and equalized. 500 psi is a real problem. Check to make sure the bulb on the TXV is mounted correctly.If the Rev valve is not shifting all the way that could be your problem. Pull the plug on the R valve and make sure you have 24V.There should be 24V when in cooling mode.
Running in heat mode. Both the large and small line would be at about teh same pressure, and 500 plus PSIG would not be out of line if it was 85 or hotter out side.

OP, check that the wires to the RV are actually connected to it.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Running in heat mode. Both the large and small line would be at about teh same pressure, and 500 plus PSIG would not be out of line if it was 85 or hotter out side.

OP, check that the wires to the RV are actually connected to it.
It was close to 100F when I got the readings of 550 psi.
New information:

I did some more trouble shooting last night and figured that the compressor had been wired HOT from the factory. WTF??? That is why it came on and kept running as soon as 240 volts were applied. Note that this would have circumvented any safety cut off mechanisms.

Also, I manually overrode the reversing valve ( 24 volts from 2 car batteries) and the reversing valve seems to work fine. The compressor was running and I could switch the system from heat to cool. The happiest moment for me in a while! The default position with no current applied to the reversing valve is the heat mode.

At this point the Comfortnet thermostat recognizes the heat pump correctly and I am getting an "error 07 Open Run current in start circuit but not in run circuit"

I assume that this is because I disconnected the wire to the compressor which was wired hot and do not know where to connect it to properly.

I downloaded a wiring diagram for this heat pump off the internet since there is not one with the installation instruction. It is not very good though!

I am not sure if other wires are also installed incorrectly.

One of the causes listed for the 07 error is "incorrect wiring". Duh.

Does anyone have access to a good wiring diagram for this heat pump?

Other suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 720

It should be on the back of one of the panels, usually the electrical box cover.

Post the complete model #. I may have a link to some info on their site.

DO NOT use car batteries or 24 volt cordless drill batteries as they are DC to test any controls. We had a poster blow the brains out of a expensive Carrier circuit board. Must be AC.

Last edited by yuri; 07-31-2014 at 12:19 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
sammy37 (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 12:27 PM   #12

What is the model number on the heat pump? What do you mean by " wired HOT from the factory" ?
Old 07-31-2014, 12:47 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 334

Quote:
What is the model number on the heat pump? What do you mean by " wired HOT from the factory" ?
I'm thinking wired to the wrong side of the contactor. I've been to the Goodman factory and dont know how it would be possible to screw that up but I guess anythings possible.
sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:15 PM   #14

Quote:
DSZC180361 Heat pump
CAPF3743C6A Ciol
MBVC1600AA-1A Blower
Comfortnet Thermostat

HOT:
When you connect the heat pump to the 240 volt source the compressor starts running. Period. This is without any thermostat input.
The thermostat was not connected and the transformer for the thermostat in the heat pump was not connected.

So basically you take your heat pump, connect it to 240 volts and the compressor comes on with nothing to stop it from running. I know that it is not meant to do that.

I have what looks like the correct wiring diagram and have blown it up to try to make some sense of it.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
It should be on the back of one of the panels, usually the electrical box cover.

Post the complete model #. I may have a link to some info on their site.

DO NOT use car batteries or 24 volt cordless drill batteries as they are DC to test any controls. We had a poster blow the brains out of a expensive Carrier circuit board. Must be AC.
Good to know. The 24 volts DC worked fine for the solenoid in the reversing valve for a couple of short tests. I do not think (hope) that any damage was done.

I was not going to connect the main circuit board to the 24 v dc.

Part of the problem I was having was that I could not really do any trouble shooting because as soon as the heat pump was energized the compressor started running and I needed the heat pump energized to power the 24 v transformer in it.

Once I figured how to stop the compressor by disconnecting it things were easier.

Either the compressor was wired wrong or something else was causing it to run as soon as power is applied?

That is my current problem.

Thanks.

Advertisement