Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Goodman?

I'm thinking about buying a new home.

The builder put in a Goodman Furnace and A/C. A contractor friend told me that Goodman isn't even builder's grade! Is he right?

Mr Mojoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #2

Goodman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojoski View Post

The builder put in a Goodman Furnace and A/C. A contractor friend told me that Goodman isn't even builder's grade! Is he right?
The Goodman is fine, provided it was installed properly.

If the house had a Trane , Carrier, Rheem, York etc, and it wasnt installed properly, it would be junk.

Most brands use the same internal parts. Goodman got a bad rap in the past because of very poor installs and they were available to almost anyone.

sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Goodman?

Your contractor friend is just a brand basher. And is no where close to telling you the truth.

When installed right, Goodman as with any brand is a fine product.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Goodman?

Dang, I'm late to the party.

Your friend is has no idea what he says and is numnuts.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Goodman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojoski View Post

You need to find a new friend. The system is as good as the person installing.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #6

Goodman?

Goodman owns the Amana, Janitrol, Goodman and GmC brands.
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #7

Goodman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy37

Goodman got a bad rap in the past because of very poor installs and they were available to almost anyone.
So what's different about today?
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

Goodman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Cold View Post

I used to live of of a road called Seamist, directly located across the street from the original Goodman manufacturing plant here in Houston. Needless to say I made friends with a few guys who worked on the "inside".

All of 'em kept saying that Goodman did not give them the chance to properly leak test their coils. Orders would come in for 500 per day so they'd build and send them out without checking or rather without the results of if they held pressure. Once out on a job if it's pressurized then it's good, obviously. If not, send it back in for a trade and hope that one is good. That being said and not so much in their defense, in my 11-ish years in this trade I've had only one coil leak on me and it wasn't exactly the coil but rather the txv wasn't screwed on tightly.

As for who can get their hands Goodman, anyone. Last year I installed a split Goodman system that a customer bought new on the internet, shipped in from Florida.

Eh.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #9

Goodman?

Quote:
Probably nothing lol but at least they are building better equipment now.

I took a tour of the Houston plant last year and was quite impressed with their new and improved way of doing things. I also talked in great length to the main man in charge and found him to be very proud of his product and his goal for wanting to be the best manufacture out there.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #10

Goodman?

The air handler cabinets are flimsy and cheap. The janitrol models had better rigidity. The heat pump condensers suck. Trying to do anything other changing the cap is a m effer. Im not impressed. If it were not for internet/ebay sales they would probably bite the dust. The local Johnstone branch can't even sell the commercial package units. The same 7.5 ton unit has been setting behind the will call counter for almost a year. You can fall off of a rock and sell a 7.5 ton unit..but no one wants to risk putting that thing in. I do like the belt adjuster though.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:47 PM   #11

Goodman?

Quote:
The air handler cabinets are flimsy and cheap. The janitrol models had better rigidity. The heat pump condensers suck. Trying to do anything other changing the cap is a m effer. Im not impressed. If it were not for internet/ebay sales they would probably bite the dust. The local Johnstone branch can't even sell the commercial package units. The same 7.5 ton unit has been setting behind the will call counter for almost a year. You can fall off of a rock and sell a 7.5 ton unit..but no one wants to risk putting that thing in. I do like the belt adjuster though.
My next door neighbors have the commercial Carrier rtu on their house. I told them Goodman copied the Carrier footprint, so when theirs quits, we can easily drop a Goodman in its place.
The Goodman commercial line sells quite well around here.

I've installed quite a few of the GPH series package heat pumps and along with being trouble free, they are very easy to service. I've never been crazy about the GPG unit though, just dont like the design and although I dont care for downshot mounting residential rtu's, If I had to I wouldnt do it with that unit. The downshot setup looks to be very restrictive.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #12
I'm Your Huckleberry

Goodman?

I think Goodman, financially, is the biggest of all of the companies out there. They have something like 9 or 10 enormous ( and a few of those brand new) distribution plants here where as Hunton Trane has two and Carrier has a two, I think. They own a few duct companies (such as Quiet Flex) as well as a few other coil companies (Aspen) and that is only on the a/c side of their business. I think that that is right.

They have their finances not only in a/c or so I've heard.

Yup, the 7.5 Goodman condenser that's attached to the old Rheem air handler I posted pics of is unstoppable.