Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #1

Share |

Good system or not?

Well got people out, got bids, just wondering if this is a good system or not...

Trane XC95m, upflow, 80k btu/h
Trane XL15i AC unit 3 TON
All new line set (15 ft run)
new trane A coil matched to AC unit
Trane clean effects air cleaner
Trane 500 Powered humidifier
new ductwork to match and sealed with mastic

this is a change from my old system which was

Aire-flo 125K BTU/h upflow single stage, sinle speed
Lennox 4 Ton AC with R-22 and only 10 SEER
*tries not to laugh* no real air filter because the person who installed it didn't put a place to put one in so the previous owners jerryrigged a filter hole in the boot...
Aprilaire 600A bypass humidifier
undersized ductwork and not sealed

Is the trane clean effects air cleaner worth it? the guy who gave me the quote for it said it can "remove smells from the air" I know ionic air cleaners use to claim this also, never seen one work on a whole house level before... its between that or a 5" pleated media filter

other thing was the major difference in size, they did a manual J and D and thats what they came up with, which is funny because the installers of the last one did that apparently also or so they claim and got 125k btu/h I did one myself and got 89k btu/h (be it that was my first time working through one also)

the other thing I was wondering about, with a powered humidifier, are they more effective then bypass? do they need an air source since it seems they suck in outside air (from the area the furance is in) the room the furnace is in how is sealed up basically, since it is direct vented for air in and combustion fumes out, do I need to add a grill or anything to the door for air flow for the humidifier blower fan?

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #2

Good system or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
Well got people out, got bids, just wondering if this is a good system or not...

Trane XC95m, upflow, 80k btu/h
Trane XL15i AC unit 3 TON
All new line set (15 ft run)
new trane A coil matched to AC unit
Trane clean effects air cleaner
Trane 500 Powered humidifier
new ductwork to match and sealed with mastic

this is a change from my old system which was

Aire-flo 125K BTU/h upflow single stage, sinle speed
Lennox 4 Ton AC with R-22 and only 10 SEER
*tries not to laugh* no real air filter because the person who installed it didn't put a place to put one in so the previous owners jerryrigged a filter hole in the boot...
Aprilaire 600A bypass humidifier
undersized ductwork and not sealed

Is the trane clean effects air cleaner worth it? the guy who gave me the quote for it said it can "remove smells from the air" I know ionic air cleaners use to claim this also, never seen one work on a whole house level before... its between that or a 5" pleated media filter

other thing was the major difference in size, they did a manual J and D and thats what they came up with, which is funny because the installers of the last one did that apparently also or so they claim and got 125k btu/h I did one myself and got 89k btu/h (be it that was my first time working through one also)

the other thing I was wondering about, with a powered humidifier, are they more effective then bypass? do they need an air source since it seems they suck in outside air (from the area the furance is in) the room the furnace is in how is sealed up basically, since it is direct vented for air in and combustion fumes out, do I need to add a grill or anything to the door for air flow for the humidifier blower fan?
I would never buy anything but Lennox, personally i feel its the best equipment out there. But if you have your mind set on Trane, then so be it. Everything seems like its good....I would stay away from the "clean effects "air cleaner......they had a recall due to a possible fire problem....all the trane guys i talk to on a daily basis say they have to many problems and they no longer install them.A good 4 inch wide media will severe you much better and no ozone worries or energy is used. As with ANY filter a dirty one will cause problems and waste energy. As far as a humidifier goes....in your case a by pass would suit you best.

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #3

Good system or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider View Post
I would never buy anything but Lennox, personally i feel its the best equipment out there. But if you have your mind set on Trane, then so be it. Everything seems like its good....I would stay away from the "clean effects "air cleaner......they had a recall due to a possible fire problem....all the trane guys i talk to on a daily basis say they have to many problems and they no longer install them.A good 4 inch wide media will severe you much better and no ozone worries or energy is used. As with ANY filter a dirty one will cause problems and waste energy. As far as a humidifier goes....in your case a by pass would suit you best.
bypass is best? thats wierd, the lennox guy and the trane guy said in my situation it was best not to be bypass, any reasoning why bypass would be best?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Good system or not?

Quote:
bypass is best? any reasoning why bypass would be best?
winter vs summer?

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 01-19-2012 at 10:55 AM.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #5

Good system or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
winter vs summer?
If the humidifier is automatically controlled based on the temp outside and the in house humidity why would that matter anymore with a non-bypass system?
Old 01-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #6

Good system or not?

Quote:
bypass is best? thats wierd, the lennox guy and the trane guy said in my situation it was best not to be bypass, any reasoning why bypass would be best?
up flow = bypass
counter flow power
this is an industry standard, at least in this area anyway.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Good system or not?

I would go with a bypass as it is simpler and less to go wrong ( non powered fan). Powered units we only use if the ducts are tight and we cannot get at the return and install the bypass pipe. Where I am brand T-rain parts are very expensive so not my choice of unit. Lennox and then Carrier IMO.

Last edited by yuri; 01-19-2012 at 03:51 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
TarheelTerp (01-19-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #8

Good system or not?

asked them about why they are recommending a powered humidifier, they said because they are installing a zoned duct system, does this sound right?
Old 01-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

Good system or not?

could be. a zoned system may have a barometric bypass to divert air when 1 zone is closed ( has to get rid of the extra capacity) so that may interfere with a bypass humidifier. that furnace is a mod (modulating) unit with an ecm motor which can slow down the airflow a LOT which will be a problem with a bypass unit as it needs lots of air bypassing. the power humidifier couldn't care less about any of the above issues so go with it. Trane makes a very good reliable unit just too expensive for my taste. with any high end mod I would insist on a 10 yr parts warranty and buying the extra labor coverage is a good idea and not that expensive. ALL mods are expensive to fix. so far the Lennox have been quite troublefree but time will tell.

Last edited by yuri; 01-19-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #10

Good system or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
could be. a zoned system may have a barometric bypass to divert air when 1 zone is closed ( has to get rid of the extra capacity) so that may interfere with a bypass humidifier. that furnace is a mod (modulating) unit with an ecm motor which can slow down the airflow a LOT which will be a problem with a bypass unit as it needs lots of air bypassing. the power humidifier couldn't care less about any of the above issues so go with it. Trane makes a very good reliable unit just too expensive for my taste. with any high end mod I would insist on a 10 yr parts warranty and buying the extra labor coverage is a good idea and not that expensive. ALL mods are expensive to fix. so far the Lennox have been quite troublefree but time will tell.
I got a quote from the only lennox dealer within 20 miles, and their price was actually higher then the trane... and they had no financing deals at this time apparently, trane has zero interest for 3yrs which is nice, even though I can pay out of pocket for it to space it out is nice to do..

maybe they just quoted me on a different model then I can deal with from lennox, do they only have one modulating model or multiple ones? trane only has the xc95m so at least I know which one they are quoting me on, the lennox people just gave me a long model number that doesnt seem to match up on their site anywhere
Old 01-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #11

Good system or not?

Quote:
asked them about why they are recommending a powered humidifier, they said because they are installing a zoned duct system, does this sound right?
NO.....sounds like they are giving you a run around...insist on a BY-PASS
Old 01-20-2012, 05:40 AM   #12
Hvac Pro

Good system or not?

Quote:
I got a quote from the only lennox dealer within 20 miles, and their price was actually higher then the trane... and they had no financing deals at this time apparently, trane has zero interest for 3yrs which is nice, even though I can pay out of pocket for it to space it out is nice to do..

maybe they just quoted me on a different model then I can deal with from lennox, do they only have one modulating model or multiple ones? trane only has the xc95m so at least I know which one they are quoting me on, the lennox people just gave me a long model number that doesnt seem to match up on their site anywhere
SLP98V (90 ,000) will do you fine. has a 10 yr parts warranty. lennox is supposed to have a winter sale/promotion on now. I would haggle and get them to match the price as it costs me more to buy a trane so they should be able to buy the unit at par and match the other guy. trane is fine also.

http://www.lennox.com/products/furnaces/SLP98V/

Last edited by yuri; 01-20-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #13
MarginallyQualified

Good system or not?

Quote:
SLP98V (90 ,000) will do you fine.
Thanks for that link but unless I'm missing it... the info as compiled is worse than useless.

I'm looking for something like a spread sheet with the list of models (like they show)...
but with a series of columns for each feature they offer
(like variable speed blower, or modulating burner, or efficiency rate) etc....
and check marks in the boxes under those which apply to each model.

If Lennox wants me to buy from them (which I'm happy to do)...
they need to start by not pizzing me off by hiding the pertinent information
to compare one model to another.
---

Does it exist in that sort of simple, compare the whole line at one time, format?
Next step would be inserting the Rheem and Carrier models into it.

Twenty years ago I worked for a Mechanical Contractor that sold Rheem...
and I *know* we had that sort of simple (no BS sales crapola) list.

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 01-20-2012 at 08:15 AM.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #14

Good system or not?

Quote:
SLP98V (90 ,000) will do you fine. has a 10 yr parts warranty. lennox is supposed to have a winter sale/promotion on now. I would haggle and get them to match the price as it costs me more to buy a trane so they should be able to buy the unit at par and match the other guy. trane is fine also.

You dont happen to know if Lennox has a promoto website for each region do you? Would like to know what is going on before I ask them if there is something (my experience with the lennox dealer around here has been bad at best...) I know trane has regional sites like traneinfo.com shows pennsylvania and virginia and shows their promotion coming up on feb 1st for my area..
Old 01-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #15

Good system or not?

Quote:
You dont happen to know if Lennox has a promoto website for each region do you? Would like to know what is going on before I ask them if there is something (my experience with the lennox dealer around here has been bad at best...) I know trane has regional sites like traneinfo.com shows pennsylvania and virginia and shows their promotion coming up on feb 1st for my area..
1-800-4-lennox