Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

good idea to get furnace inspected yearly?

I have a rather new furnace, maybe 5 years old or so, it runs fine. Is it still a good idea to get it inspected every year? Is there anything DIY I can inspect, or is this best left to a pro? I have basic knowledge on how it works, but not to the point of taking apart anything major, which I'm sure a pro would do.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #2

IMO inspections are best done by a pro. You can clean the flame sensor,burners,crossovers and blower but all that is more then likely included in the service call so why bother. Real good idea to get it checked over while the parts are still under warranty.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #3

Gas fired ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Yeah, gas.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #5

I lived in my last house for 7 years & never had the gas furnace serviced
I had a board fail during that time - $200 to replace
Probably serviced as part of the repair - but not sure
Gas heat, HW, cooking & dryer
But not a huge gas bill...I had a wood stove
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
I have a rather new furnace, maybe 5 years old or so, it runs fine. Is it still a good idea to get it inspected every year? Is there anything DIY I can inspect, or is this best left to a pro? I have basic knowledge on how it works, but not to the point of taking apart anything major, which I'm sure a pro would do.
I take everything apart in the fall. Clean the burners, blower wheel,and flame sensor. Also oil the motor..

While the blower is out I will also check the hx and A-coil as well.

I have done this every year "furnace was installed 10 yrs ago"

It is a Bryant 80. I have never replaced the flame sensor or HSI in 10 yrs.

If you keep up on the maint. it will last a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Is it still a good idea to get it inspected every year?

Yes..
newtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:41 AM   #7

If you keep the filter clean and oil the blower motor and do general vacuuming in and around the burners you should be OK.

If you don't smell anything out of the ordinary and the system is running good don't worry about it.

If it was oil fired I would say definitely get it serviced and inspected annually.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
If you keep the filter clean and oil the blower motor and do general vacuuming in and around the burners you should be OK.

If you don't smell anything out of the ordinary and the system is running good don't worry about it.

If it was oil fired I would say definitely get it serviced and inspected annually.
Sorry coldiron but that is bad advise. A vacuum does not get rid of oxidation on burner faces, crossovers and flame sensors which is the #1 cause of no heat calls. Most furnace blower motors have been sealed for many years now so no oil needed.
A clean burning furnace produces little to no CO, which is is odorless. A dirty burn or rusted heat exchanger will produce thousands of ppm of CO, deadly amounts which is still odorless. Heat exchangers crack and home owners have no idea because the fire still lights and the blower comes on so they think everything is perfect.

For those that want to DIY go for it but know what it takes to do the job correctly . Your family's safety is not something to do half azzed. The cleaning and service is basic enough but I would strongly suggest taking a seminar( about $300) on heat exchanger inspection and purchasing a good combustion analyzer( about $1500 for mine). The sensors in that analyzer will need to be replaced a few times over the life of the furnace @ $400+ a pop. Bottom line is it's just as cheap to hire someone for inspection and service as it is to buy the bare minimum of tools and take one class to learn how to do a proper inspection. Actually much cheaper to pay someone every other year. That's why I say DIY cleaning is fine but leave the inspection to the pro's, not because it's brain surgery.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #9

We can agree to disagree..but it was not bad advice due to the meat head servicemen out here who don't really do any thing right to start with and usually screw something up that is running perfect to start with. I know that motors are mostly no lube I was referring to the oil type if you have one. Most people know that carbon monoxide is odorless but if you have a heater that is not burning properly you can smell it. Everyone should have a gas detector in their house ,also should we check everybody's house in the USA. Do you realize you suggested people go buy an analyzer for 1500 and take a 300 dollar course.
The people writing in to this are not spending money that's why their writing here asking questions. I say leave it to the pros also if you want an inspection , if not I can't make you I am not the heat exchanger police. Over 40 years HVAC, later
Old 09-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #10

Quote:
but if you have a heater that is not burning properly you can smell it.
Hopefully by then it won't be too late for the home owner...

Last edited by newtech; 09-07-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtech View Post
Hopefully by then it won't be too late for the home owner...
Hey New good to hear from you .... I know you but you don't know me.. maybe you do.. well I know you do. It's a long story.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Hey New good to hear from you .... I know you but you don't know me.. maybe you do.. well I know you do. It's a long story.
???

Gotta think for a while. Been a long day
Old 09-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #13

I would get it inspected but probably more like every 2-3 years as long as it's performance is consistent.

"If" 20% of techs are "hacks" and you get it inspected once a year, then statistically it'll get screwed up within 5 years just from the inspection process. They might screw up the system, fail to detect problems, sell you parts you don't need or try to sell you an entire new system. (if they're on commision).

I'd only go for once a year if you have a professional tech. lined up that you have 100% confidence in.

hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote