Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2011, 11:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Good furnace service bag?

Lookin for a good serive bag for tools to be used by a furnace tech.Mine is small and needs an upgrade. I have become a furnace monkey for the winter .

freezeradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

A lot of techs will swear by their Veto pro pac tool bags, I hear a lot of good things about them and I'm sure they are well worth the money but Husky makes an excellent large mouth tool bag (comes in 14", 16" and 18") that I use.

It fits my full size meter, all of my basic hand tools, my impact drill and odds and ends such as terminals, fuses, nuts and bolts (for fans) and whatnot and it's quite durable and very easy to handle.

I think it's $29 at The Home Depot.

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
how

Rewards Points: 516

After 30 years I've settled on the Stanley Fat Max Extreme bag.
Big and roomy with a plethera of pouches inside and out. It has a wide over the shoulder bagstap that allows one hand to carry a tool box while leaving the other hand free to open truck doors. A very tough & durable construction.
Very similar to Doc's Husky bag but his choice is light colored inside which probably makes it easier to find tools in than mine which is black..

Last edited by how; 11-19-2011 at 12:20 AM.
how is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:14 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I have 2 large Fat Max Bags .I use them for installation tools.I like that Husky one from my home away from home. I want a small bag for furnace tools .

Last edited by freezeradio; 11-19-2011 at 12:21 AM.
freezeradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezeradio View Post
cool . Thanx You just saved me gas money.

No problem. Keep the screwdrivers on the inside pockets.

The Home Depot also sells Husky Pro screwdriver set for $19.99. Comes with two large, two medium and two small (for thermostats) screwdrivers, one philips and one flat in each size. While they are not quite Klein quality they are excellent and hold up really well and feel good as well. Individually they sell for up to $10 a piece. I think they're pictured in that bag. You can see the handles at least.

They're rubber handled in case of live electricity. And when going for lineman pliers, go Klein Journeyman. You will not be able to put them down, they are that good. $35-ish at The Home Depot.

Good luck.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:38 AM   #6
how

Rewards Points: 516

I keep the husky for a range of tools, brushes, cleaning rags, co detecter and my trouble light (for old eyes). I use a re enforced tool box for the rest of my tools, meters, scope and something to plant my ass upon while I work.
I hate making more trips to my truck than nessesary.
how is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:53 AM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post
I keep the husky for a range of tools, brushes, cleaning rags, co detecter and my trouble light (for old eyes). I use a re enforced tool box for the rest of my tools, meters, scope and something to plant my ass upon while I work.
I hate making more trips to my truck than nessesary.
I as well keep my many different meters (digital phychrometer, digital manometer, CO meter, sh/sc, etc.) in a seperate back pack. If we used them all on each job we'd need a tool shed on wheels to tote around..
Old 11-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

I use a CLC tool pouch to carry in basic stuff that gets used on every call like meter,nut drivers,wrenches,screw drivers,terminal ends and such. Available at Johnstones for about $25.

Tinning tools are in a husky bag. Specialty tools that spend more time in the truck then working... like big pipe wrenches,flat bar,giant adjustable wrench and wheel puller are in a bucket.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

local army navy serplus stores have canvus tote bages just for enought tools...buy 2 cause when you wear out the first you'll never find it again to replace.... stores like these...and you'll still pack it http://www.armysurplusworld.com/disp...partmentID=159

Last edited by biggles; 11-19-2011 at 07:45 AM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,424

If you only plan to use it for 1 yr then the Husky is good value. If you plan to keep it for a lifetime then the Stanley or Kuny bags (HDepot Canada) are better. Depends on how rough you are on your equipment. I still use a 33 yr old leather linesman pouch as I did lots of work off ladders on unit heaters etc. Glued a piece of carpet on the back side so it did not wear a hole in my leg and it is still there. Feel like Clint Eastwood carryin a six-shooter when you swagger into the house with one of those on.