Going To Insulate Attic This Weekend - Options? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

going to insulate attic this weekend - options?

My attic has one finished room partitioned off from the unfinished attic.

THe small room has a clipped gable roof, meaning I can access the ceiling joists from the unfinished side by climbing over the wall.

I wannt to fill this area with insulation - I'm assuming fiberglass would be a good choice? Do I strictly go by R value, or is there any particular brand or type of insulation I should use?
Looks like the joists are merely 2X4, but I could fill up theoretically up to the peak.

Then, the plan for the rest of the attic is to fish bats through the floor j oists. I have a weird soffit bump-out design which leaves me room inside the attic to peer into the open joist bays. I'll have to remove a board somewhere int hemiddle, and fish the bats through from both ends.
Again, anything particular I should buy for this? The joists are 2X10, roughly 16OC.

The POs had alreayd done a bit of this in about half the floor, but it's this really thin crappy stuff that doesn't seem like it would do anything.

I also plan to go around with spray foam and try to get the big stuff with that.

Thanks.

Advertisement

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I'm not an expert on this subject but have you checked out blown in insulation. I think you can rent the machine that is used for this. Might be worth checking out. I would use at least a foot of insulation in the attic.

Advertisement

SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

If you look at the NE suggested r value for attic its R49 but i do not think it can be done in most older houses. I have a attic where i have R19 insulation[the house was build with it] and floor boards and use the place for storing stuff and its fine.

I was planning to put another layer but decided against it as i would loose the storage area.

r value is calculated by inches so its appx 3.2 an inch so do not squeeze them as it does not add r value.

Just roll the fiberglass and you will be all set. remember to get a face mask,eye safety glasses as this thing is itchy and can give you a bad cough. I usually use a wind cheater with hood and plastic sport pants to keep it off me.

not a fan of blown in insulation as an attic needs to be vented and you do not want to make the house too tight either.

satz
satz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

http://www.jmhomeowner.com/toolbox/rvalue.asp
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote