Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Getting a furnace through a narrow opening?

I'm considering buying a house that has just been completely renovated. The brand new hot water heater and furnace are in the crawl space under the house, which is only accessible by an opening in the floor of a closet. The opening is pretty narrow, and there's no way the furnace fit through the opening. It's possible that they put the furnace down there during the renovation, when there might have been more of an opening in the floor (we're looking into finding out if that's what they did).

I'm not concerned about the furnace right now, but were something to go wrong in the future and it need to be replaced, is it possible to install a new furnace in pieces that would fit through the floor opening, and assemble it in the crawl space? Otherwise we'd be looking at some major work to make an opening big enough for a whole new unit. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Sowchoy; 02-14-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Sowchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Many furnaces can be dis-assembled and made to fit through small openings. You will likely run into accessability issues with the local mechanical code when you have it inspected.

brandonmcginnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,000

the case around the furnace is a fixed size ,most newer furnaces are pretty compact
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Most modern furnaces will fit through a hole smaller than their assembled dimension. Ask me how I know. You can likely get the DISASSEMBLED furnace through a smaller hole by gutting the unit and folding the housing. I would not reccommend this to anyone, but it can be done. You will still fail your mechanical inspection if the access door is smaller than the dimensions of the ASSEMBLED furnace.
brandonmcginnis is offline   Reply With Quote