DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Geothermal heating question

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 ·
I have a 5 ton system that is run on off peak that is the radiant floor heat.

I have a 3 ton system that is not on off peak that is the forced air unit.
Its a closed loop system. In the part of the country i am in the off peak is generaly on 12 hours of the day. This system is set up so only the forced air will run or the under floor will run, not both at the same time.

My question is, the forced air unit seems to override the under floor heat, so when it -30 out the forced air will need to run about 50 minutes of the hour. Doesnt seem like the underfloor will run enough to heat up?

Can both systems run at the same time?
Thanks

#2 ·
Should not be a problem.

Only running the radiant for a 12 hours a day is a waste. It takes time to warm up a floor.

Set the radiant at what ever temp is comfortable to you. And then set the forced air 2 degrees lower.
The radiant will do most of the work when its real cold outside. with the forced air only doing what little additional is needed.

#3 ·
Should not be a problem.

Only running the radiant for a 12 hours a day is a waste. It takes time to warm up a floor.

Set the radiant at what ever temp is comfortable to you. And then set the forced air 2 degrees lower.
The radiant will do most of the work when its real cold outside. with the forced air only doing what little additional is needed.

There is the problem, the off peak is turned on for 12 hours a day, the under floor wont run during that time, no electricity. When the off peak is off the under floor can run, but the forced air overrides it, so when its really cold out the forced air will run alot and the floor will hardly have time to run and heat up.
Thanks

#4 ·
Just take the radiant off of the off peak system.

Other wise, you have a big waste of money sitting there.

In reality. Your not saving anything with the radiant on the off peak system. It just has to run that much longer when it does run, just to get the floors warm. And by the time it starts to make teh house comfortable. The off peak shuts it down for 12 hours again.

#5 · (Edited)
Just take the radiant off of the off peak system.

Other wise, you have a big waste of money sitting there.

In reality. Your not saving anything with the radiant on the off peak system. It just has to run that much longer when it does run, just to get the floors warm. And by the time it starts to make teh house comfortable. The off peak shuts it down for 12 hours again.

Thanks for the reply and info. I will have to check with the elec. company and see if they allow that. Seems to me that would make the most sense. I am wondering why I paid that much for a system that will only run a little bit of time??

Does anyone know if the underfloor unit and the forced air unit run at the same time?
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.