Geothermal Heat Pump Using Pool As Heat Sink - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Geothermal heat pump using pool as heat sink

I have a question about installation of a geothermal open loop system using a swimming pool as the heat sink. My web searches show sporadic results, not much info I can find.
I would like to install such a system if it is feasible.
Some info about my house:
Pool: In ground, 26,000 - 30,000 gal (20x40 feet), salt water
House: Currently 1,800 square feet, single story, plan to expand to 2,300
Current HVAC: Just forced air NG furnace, no A/C

I was planning to replace all the duct works and install traditional A/C, but want to investigate possibility of geothermal.

Due to the termperate weather, the pool seems like a good candidate for a heat sink. Also, it would aid in heating the pool.

From what I have researched so far, I would want to install an open loop system, taking the water from my pool, then dumping it back in. Pool would get cooling effect from evaporation. Heating should not be a problem, as winters are quite mild, and I always have the gas furnace as backup.

Has anyone done this? If so, how was the plumbing done? Tie into the pool plumbing with check valves so pool pump and geothermal pump do to affect each other? Or use pool pump for everything? Any advice or suggestion from someone that has experience with geothermal?

Any recommendation for geothermal heat pump? I understand I need one with cupro-nickel heat exchanger due to salt water. Which is the best?

Thanks,
Michael

Advertisement

mnschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

Maybe in Kentucky, if you were using it for your still. This just has wrong written over it in so many ways

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I will be of zero help on this topic..... I thought pools were for swimming in...
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,494

Don't believe your pool will cool from evaporation as much as you think. Does your pool water ever feel almost warm in the summer?
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #5

My original question related to geothermal, however I found this product that uses traditional A/C.
http://www.hotspotenergy.com/pool-heater/

This has a refrigerant to water heat exchanger, which seems the most efficient for an AC. In my search, I did come across some air to water heat exchangers that retrofit to A/C as well, but this seems better.

My question for this product is if it will be reliable.
This brochure shows more details:
http://www.hotspotenergy.com/pool-he...r-brochure.pdf

Basically, there is a controller that will switch the refrigerant from going to your normal A/C condenser to the heat exchanger using your pool water. This will heat your pool. If your pool gets too hot, it will switch back to using your condenser.

Any issues with this setup?

Thanks,
Old 05-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

How long will it take to get a ROI on it.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #7

I don't think I can quantify ROI, since the reason is to give longer swim season and warmer, more enjoyably pool. The unit cost $1,800 plus installation.
Similar to the A/C, we can't quantify ROI, as we don't have one currently, so the purchase of A/C is to get a more comfortable home.

Can someone comment on how much it would cost to install such a unit in San Fran Bay Area? According to company it takes about 4-5 hours for an A/C repair tech to install. The pool plumbing part and electrical I can do myself.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

You'll need to get prices from companies in your area. The rates a company charges in one area, may not be remotely close to what they charge in your area.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:09 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,256

If your pool is salt water then that complicates things. Most water source heat pumps aren't designed for salt water.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #10

Unfortunately, there are a few problems with the pool as a heat sink Idea for an open source geothermal system.

1. Amount of water. The amount of water required for a open source geothermal varies depending on the cooling load. But it can be quite significant. The pool would work for a while, but then it just wouldn't cool off fast enough. Also, when you need the cooling in your house the most is when you would have the toughest time getting the water in your pool to cool off. The reason geothermal works is because the water is down in the earth, where it's not baking in the sun.

2. Salt water in the pool will degrade the heat exchanger in the geothermal system quite quickly resulting in some major problems.

Innovative thinking though, I like it!

Jonathan Broscious
Earthwell Energies
www.earthwellenergies.com

Advertisement

Earthwell is offline   Reply With Quote