Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #1

Share |

Geothermal heat pump

New to the concept of water source heat pumps. Has anyone here had one installed or installed one and is the savings worth the cost?

Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
Craftsman

Geothermal heat pump

A friend of mine put one in about six years ago and when I saw his results I planned mine. While remodeling and adding a patio I began planning for a new system by stubbing two 2" pvc pipes out past the patio from our basement utility room. Then had the system installed a year later. They will save you money but you need to plan a long term for payback. We priced a regular heat pump system with natural gas backup from two contractors at $9200.00 and $9700.00. Spent $13,400.00 on the geothermal (water heating/heating/cooling) system and cut our gas/electric bills in more than half (but have the satisfaction of knowing we reduced our carbon footprint).

Superrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Geothermal heat pump

So are you still headin' toward Missouri, or are you here yet?

I know you didn't ask this, but unless you plan to learn the system inside and out, is there anyone local and knowledgeable who can service this system?

We're in rural Missouri. We have hydronic heat. I know it is not the same, but whenever we try to get information locally all we get are blank stares.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
Craftsman

Geothermal heat pump

The brand I chose was waterfurnace I believe they offer a hydronic unit if your system needs replacement or updating. You could go to their website to see if their are dealers near your area. I am glad we spent the extra money to install this system and have not been disappointed with it or the installer.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
Willing to listen

Geothermal heat pump

The major HVAC OEMs are starting to roll out inverter compressor air source heat pumps, Nordyne has had theirs as a heat pump for a few years now. While pricey, they kind of bridge the gap between previous best high efficiency heat pumps and Geothermal. It's another option you could at least consider. Carrier Greenspeed, Nordyne IQ. More efficient (HSPF & SEER) than traditional air source...and higher discharge air temps, so you get better comfort and efficiency with these.

That said, right now there are still Government tax credits of up to 30% of the install cost for geothermal since this is the big sticking point for many. Details can be found on websites of mfgs like ClimateMaster and WaterFurnace.
Done That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
Craftsman

Geothermal heat pump

My first house had a GE air source heat pump (70s era all electric house) which I hated the air from the registers was so cold (we froze) and had high electrical bills in the summer and winter. The newer air source units are better but you would swear the air coming from a geothermal heat pump is gas (yeah its that warm). Not having to squeeze heat from an air temp of 10 to forty degrees outside has a huge advantage.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #7

Geothermal heat pump

Blondsense....to answer you, I'm south of Branson...almost on the Arkansas border.
Superrick..I have contacted a water furnace dealer. Thanks for the recommendation. I think that is where I will take my next step. The rebates make it affordable.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
Pretending to be Retired

Geothermal heat pump

We installed a geothermal heat pump system 5 years ago and I like it a lot. Ours is a 7 ton system consisting of two heat pumps and 7 wells. Would I do it again? I don't know. I do like the free domestic hot water during the summer and part spring/fall, I do like the lack of external pump and fan making all that noise, I do like the cost saving in electric consumption.

But I'm concerned about future cost. What happens if the buried pipes to and from the wells start to leak? I know they are out there in the back yard, but exactly where? When I dig for a back yard fence will I strike the pipes or wells? If anything goes wrong with the wells, there isn't any fix except to re-drill and retrench. We had a starter capacitor go bad, and getting someone repair it took some doing. Everyone seemed a little scared to touch it.

Last edited by BigD9; 01-10-2012 at 08:49 PM.
BigD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
Craftsman

Geothermal heat pump

bigd9 Did you look through your paper work. Our owners manual has a graft sheet showing pipe and well locations measured from the back and corners of the house. If you were not given a drawing of the system layout I would contact the dealer or drilling contractor to help you locate it and make a drawing.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #10
Pretending to be Retired

Geothermal heat pump

No drawing, but I do have a few pictures showing the well drilling rig and pipe trenches my wife took when the house was being built. So I know a general area, but I still worry every time my wife wants a hole dug for another bird feeder stand or another garden pond or another tree. I would imagine trees and geothermal wells would not be a good mix.

BigD9 is offline   Reply With Quote