Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #1

Share |

Geothermal closed loop

I have a geothermal closed loop sytem that has glycol and i assume antifreeeze of some sort. Question is - Can the in temp be 32 and the out temp drop to around 25 and still work? I assume it wont freeze but was just curiuos if it could work like that?
Thanks

Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Geothermal closed loop

It is not so much the outside air temp, but the ground temp that would allow it to do its job. The antifreeze is the Glycol. It basically works like a heat pump. Summer it pulls the cooler ground temp to cool the house, in Winter, it uses the warmer ground temp to help heat the house.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #3

Geothermal closed loop

i understand its the ground temp. I am just wondering if for some reason the loop may not be keeping up with the system and say the glycol coming in temp from the ground loop is 30 degrees and goes back to the ground loop at 20 degrees if the system will still work? I understand that the ground temp should be a constant 50 to 55, but wondering if the loop cools down can it all still work?
Thanks
Old 01-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
Experienced

Geothermal closed loop

Those temps? F or C,

At the temps you refer to no, how would you get any heat out of loop temp below or at freezing.

Sure it would work, if you were trying to cool something, but not for heat.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Geothermal closed loop

The depth of the loop, the ground temp stays at a constant 50-60 degrees. Unless you live in Antarctica, Alaska, or the Artic Circle, the ground temp will never get that cold. The Glycol mix is at a ratio, just like your car's Glycol mix is always a 50/50 mix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_heat_pump
Old 01-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #6

Geothermal closed loop

Cool thanks, I just was wondering if the ground loop was to small and the ground around the pipes were cooling off as it runs more and more throughout the winter.

I live in the coldest part of the nation, just a few miles from the canadian border in northern MN.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Geothermal closed loop

Quote:
I just was wondering if the ground loop was to small and the ground around the pipes were cooling off as it runs more and more throughout the winter.
Ayuh,... If the system is poorly designed, 'n the ground loop is so small, it can't exchange quick enough,...
Yer gonna freeze yer butt off, as the system won't be workin'...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #8

Geothermal closed loop

Thanks for the replies.
Its all heating fine, just started to notice a little frost on the lines.
Thanks
Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Geothermal closed loop

Take a picture and post back. Is the unit located in your garage or basement? Also, if the space around your income loops are not sealed from outside air entering, it may cause problems with frost on the outside of the lines, but it shouldn't under normal conditions. This year is seeing a Little Ice Age across the planet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_ice_age
Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #10

Geothermal closed loop

It is located in the garage and the garage is heated to 60 degrees.
There is actually a little frost on the lines entering and exiting each unit.
Just started showing up in the last few days. Lows arent to bad at night -10 or so and highs in the single digits.
Thanks
Old 01-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #11
HVAC Installer

Geothermal closed loop

It depends on the Glycal concentration in the loop. If they used the recommended 15% mix you should have a -5 degree freeze protection. The other issue that you may run in to is slushing. this occurs when the solution in the loop is near the freeze point. once slushing occurs you are no longer extracting heat from the system and damage can occur. As of now you are still getting a temp drop between supply and return, so the system is working. Although you should really have you loop checked, you shouldn't have temps that low.
LukeROttinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:02 AM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Geothermal closed loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeROttinger View Post
It depends on the Glycal concentration in the loop. If they used the recommended 15% mix you should have a -5 degree freeze protection. The other issue that you may run in to is slushing. this occurs when the solution in the loop is near the freeze point. once slushing occurs you are no longer extracting heat from the system and damage can occur. As of now you are still getting a temp drop between supply and return, so the system is working. Although you should really have you loop checked, you shouldn't have temps that low.
Luke's right.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #13

Geothermal closed loop

Thanks for the replies.
I dont actually know what temps are coming in and going out, i was just wondering if it could still work if that were to happen.

There are no temp gauges to check.
Thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #14
HVAC Installer

Geothermal closed loop

Fisher, I have been thinking a little more about you question. I think that you need to have your loop checked, a pressure drop would account for your problem. This is vary common. Over time the pump can allow pressure to leak out or micro bubbles in the water can collect and form a pocket. I would love to know what you find out.
LukeROttinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #15

Geothermal closed loop

well it is all back up and running.
Went to work on Thursday everything was fine. Came home and the underfloor was locked up and the forced air was blowing cold air. Very cold last few days lows were -37 and highs around -13. Problem ended up being the methenol levels were to low. In temp was 30 and the methonal levels was 28, so when it tried to take out 10 degrees, it was shutting down because it thought it was frozen but wasnt. Refilled the loop and hooked up the gas back up to get the house up to temp, was down to 52 in there. The methenol level is now at 15 so we should be good to go, no issues since and heating very well.
Thanks