Are "Genuine OEM" Replacement Parts Necessary For A Furnace? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Are "Genuine OEM" replacement parts necessary for a furnace?

Hi everybody,

We have a Trane XE70 gas furnace, original with the house (~22 years). I hired an HVAC tech to perform seasonal maintenance and inspection. He recommended the capacitor be replaced, because the reading was slightly below the "acceptable" threshold. He also noticed the blower motor was making a "clanking" noise at start-up and shut-down, which he believed was a bearing going bad - and recommended replacement of the blower motor as well. Due to the age of the unit, his final recommendation was replacing the entire furnace.

I found a web site that sells "Genuine OEM" Trane replacement parts specific to my furnace model. However, the prices of these parts are a LOT higher than generic/no-name parts on other sites.

Is it necessary (or recommended) to replace with OEM parts? Due to the age of my furnace, is it worth replacing these parts at all, if we plan to purchase a new furnace next year?

Thanks!

Advertisement

hvacdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I would buy a new high efficiency furnace this year and take advantage of the tax credits and rebates available until the end of this year instead of waiting until next year when there will not be any monetary incentives.

Advertisement

kb3ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

On those 2 parts. I wouldn't use OEM. I stock emerson motors & xxx caps for replacments
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you both for the responses. I'm getting a few estimates next week on a new high-efficiency furnace, and then I'll crunch some numbers.
hvacdiy is offline   Reply With Quote