General Duct Question, Please Help! - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

General Duct Question, Please Help!

OK, I have no idea what to do in my situation. My current a/c unit is a packaged unit with only air, we have an electric furnace for heat. My unit is so old, that a local HVAC guy couldn't even tell me how old it was, but he managed to make it last through last summer, and so far its still running this summer, though I can tell it is on its way out I have found a website where I can buy a new packaged unit with a heat pump, so i can get rid of my furnace. I am capable of hooking everything up, ducts and electric, thats not a problem for me, I hooked up our current unit when we bought this mobile home(A/C unit came with it.)

Here is my issue: The new unit has rectangular "openings" to attach the ducts, I can get an accessory kit to convert the "openings" to round duct. The supply line is 14" and the return line 16". There are no other options or ways to get around that, period. The hookups under the trailer are both 12", my current unit and ducts are also 12". My general question is should I get 14" and 16" flex duct and convert to 12" at the trailer hookups(expensive option) or should I convert to 12" right off the unit and use the current set up(cheap option). I don't what to skim through the cheapest way, I want it done properly. As you can see, I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to this stuff, so please go easy on me. Feel free to ask more questions, I'll gladly respond, so I can get the proper way to do this.

Advertisement

michael-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,784

Is the unit you bought, rated for mobile home use?

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Yes, its rated for mobile home and commercial use. I have not bought it yet, but it was recommended to me from the A/C guy. It would cost me $4000+ for him to do it all, but I can buy the unit for just under $2000. I know how to hook it all up too. Its just the sizing I'm uncertain of. I just simply can't afford to pay someone to do it, even me doing it myself is pushing my budget. If I need to buy the larger flex duct and connectors the project will cost about $2500 and half a day under the trailer.

Last edited by michael-s; 06-30-2013 at 02:42 PM.
michael-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,784

Most new MH approved package unit only use a 14" return. Thats why I ask.

Run the large duct the unit needs, or you will have freeze up problems.