General 1042 L Power Humidifier ... Doesn't - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

General 1042 L power humidifier ... doesn't

Hi,

I'm not sure what the problem is, but maybe someone here has a suggestion for me...

The humidifier was installed in 95, before we bought this house. I believe it worked, but a few years ago, we became aware that it wasn't.

I opened up the unit, but it is bone dry. The water supply line seems to be working just fine. So, I'm guessing it might be the humidistat?

It's a Honewell 8808 B1011. When I adjust the knob (humidity??), I can hear one click at about 30% - I know it's not that dry in here. But no matter what the setting, the humidifier seems to do nothing.

I'm not sure where to begin... Any suggestions? I've never messed with one of these contraptions...

Thanks,

Mark

Advertisement

markld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 872

1)Loosen the nut on the inlet side of the solenoid valve and see if there is water to the valve. If not or poor amount then the supply valve on the main water line needs opening/replacing.
2) Check to see if you got 24 volts on the 2 wires to the solenoid valve with the humidistat past the 'click' point. If not trace the wiring back to the 24volt transformer and see if there is 24 volts from it/furnace fan needs to be running at the time. If you have 24 volts then bypass the humidistat in case it is stuck open.
3) Loosen the nut on the downstream side of the solenoid valve. Lots of water should flow thru. If not, there usually is a strainer to collect pieces of rust etc from plugging the solenoid valve (like a faucet aerator) in the inlet side fitting. Carefully remove and clean it.

Advertisement

Last edited by yuri; 01-04-2009 at 05:01 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #3

Yuri,

I have 24 volts at the solenoid, and I've cleaned (even removed and have not yet reinstalled) the "strainer" from the upstream side of the solenoid. I've inserted a pin the inlet to remove anything that might be blocking the solenoid.

The solenoid feels somewhat warm - warmer than the air around it; does that tell you anything?

I'm wondering if the solenoid is stuck or just bad.

You mentioned bypassing the humidistat in case it's stuck open - how do I do that?
Old 01-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

If you have 24 volts at the 2 solenoid wires then the humidistat is okay. The solenoid is probably stuck closed/worn out from age if it is 9 yrs old and sat unused for awhile. Generalaire has a website. Maybe they sell parts.

Good Luck
Old 01-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #5

THanks so much for the help!! I found a replacement solenoid for this unit, it's $70. I think the evaporator pad could use replacement... In your opinion, at what point (cost-wise) is it worth replacing the whole unit? Obviously it would be way easier to replace just the solenoid & pad...
Old 01-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

I can buy the whole unit new for $160 wholesale. Not much to go wrong with it so I would repair it. Soak the pad in CLR and it may still work.

Advertisement