DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Gas Water Heater to Chimney Liner Connection

9K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  sbender61 
#1 ·
Due to backdrafting, the Home Warranty company sent a plumber to re-construct the connection between Chimney Liner and the water heater. It looks everything ok to me. However, a chimney inspector told me that the re-construction was not following fire code. He said chimney liner should never get out of the chimney (There is about two feet long chimney liner extended out from the wall and then connect to a metal pipe on water heater. see picture below). because chimney liner could easily break. if it is broken, it will be dangerous becuase CO will leak into the basement.
So, do I need to ask Home Warranty company to re-do it? If the plumber did not follow the fire code, the re-do will be free. otherwise I need to pay all the cost.
Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Beenthere, thank you for your reply.

From my understanding of your reply, you agree with the chimney inspector's comments. am I right?

Do you know where I can find any related official fire code? It might be easier for me to argue with Home Warranty company if I have an official document.

Thanks again.

#7 · (Edited)
The installation instructions, are your best source for info. On proper installation.
Most codes. Defer back to the manufacturers install instructions. Since those are the install instructions that were used for it to be UL approved.

So you should look for the install instructions. See if they left them there. if not. Look for them on the net(make sure they are for teh brand liner that was installed).

If you can't find them. Post what brand liner was used. And maybe one of us has a copy, or knows where to find them.

#8 ·
If vent is going into a into a masonry chimney without a liner, or with an original clay tile liner - especially if that WH is the only gas appliance venting into the chimney - you have bigger problems than just the flex connection, for example see pp 50-53 at http://www.duravent.com/pdf/shbook.pdf.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.