Gas Wall Heaters, What Do You All Think? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Gas wall heaters, what do you all think?

I have a kitchen that's a little colder than the rest of the house. Insulated and whar have you..........I'm thinking about getting a gas wall heater about 10k to take the chill off. Questions,,,,,,,,,,how effiecent are they, will a 10k warm a 14x14 room and how do you that have them like them? Also how much gas do they eat up?

Advertisement

Bearcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

What type of heat do you have in the home. Could you add additional heat from what you have or balance the system out better to heat the kitchen?

Advertisement

JohnH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

I have oil baseboard hot water including the kitchen. But the kitchen is always a little cooler as the thermostat is in another room. If I were to move the stat to the kitchen then the rest of the house probably be too warm. Anyways I'm looking for a little extra boost to cut back on the oil furnace working so much. It cost me 400 bucks in 1 month to heat this place.
Bearcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:55 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,522

They're 80% efficient.

How much gas, depends on how much you use it.

Be carefull, if you just want a little extra heat. A 10,000BTU one, will be more then just a little extra.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:00 AM   #5
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

a friend of mine had one in a single story and he heated the whole place to 90 degrees with that little sucker.... it was like walking into an oven.

DM
Old 01-26-2009, 08:11 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 528

The gas wall heater is overkill for a 14 X 14 foot room that is just a bit cooler then the rest of the house. I suggest trying what JohnH1 says. Also a cheap alternative is to place an electric portable oil filled radiator in the kitchen. They cost about $40.00 to $60.00.
Don't buy anything from China. Look for American or European manufacturer. Check to make sure the U.L. label is on the unit before purchasing.

I used to have one of these in my basement which was much colder then my two story house. They are probally more efficient then electric heaters but my unit was unvented and the main product of combustion which is carbon dioxide increased the normal concentration to four to six times the outdoor level of 340 ppm. Now I said carbon dioxide, not carbon monoxide (the dangerous one) as some people still get the two confused. But still, carbon dioxide at high levels is not healthy.

Last edited by rjordan392; 01-26-2009 at 08:21 AM.
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,256

Sounds like you don't have enough length of hydronic baseboard in the kitchen or you aren't getting enough flow (or high enough temperature water) to the baseboard that's there. Rather than spend on a supplemental heater I'd try to get the existing btu output up in the kitchen by fixing what's wrong with it. As far as the cost of running the oil burner, if you have natural gas available then you might want to consider going to a gas boiler at some point.

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote