Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gas valve replacement

Hi and thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer. I am currently working on a rental unit that sat vacant for about 6 years. Long story short: The owner was told there was an underground gas leak so I hooked an air compressor to the meter stand, ran it up to 35 PSI and it held that pressure for half a day. Gas company installed the meter and thoroughly leak tested the entire system. The leak was in the house at the water heater.

Now to my question. This unit has an old Brilliant Fire double wall heater with dual gas valves. Those valves are actually three valves, one for the pilot, one for the burner and what I assume is a regulator and they have been confirmed as bad by an HVAC contractor. Is it possible to replace those valve assemblies with a single, modern gas valve. There is a 24V transformer supplying power. We'd like to not have to replace this unit since it was working when the house was shut down.

Thanks for your time.

Fatfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,188

Gas valve replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfingers View Post
Hi and thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer. I am currently working on a rental unit that sat vacant for about 6 years. Long story short: The owner was told there was an underground gas leak so I hooked an air compressor to the meter stand, ran it up to 35 PSI and it held that pressure for half a day. Gas company installed the meter and thoroughly leak tested the entire system. The leak was in the house at the water heater.

Now to my question. This unit has an old Brilliant Fire double wall heater with dual gas valves. Those valves are actually three valves, one for the pilot, one for the burner and what I assume is a regulator and they have been confirmed as bad by an HVAC contractor. Is it possible to replace those valve assemblies with a single, modern gas valve. There is a 24V transformer supplying power. We'd like to not have to replace this unit since it was working when the house was shut down.

Thanks for your time.
it may be able to be repaired.. after certifing the heat exchanger....need picture of valve and burner assy...ben sr

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,814

Gas valve replacement

Need pics of the units gas train.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas valve replacement