DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Gas valve replacement

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 ·
Hi and thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer. I am currently working on a rental unit that sat vacant for about 6 years. Long story short: The owner was told there was an underground gas leak so I hooked an air compressor to the meter stand, ran it up to 35 PSI and it held that pressure for half a day. Gas company installed the meter and thoroughly leak tested the entire system. The leak was in the house at the water heater.

Now to my question. This unit has an old Brilliant Fire double wall heater with dual gas valves. Those valves are actually three valves, one for the pilot, one for the burner and what I assume is a regulator and they have been confirmed as bad by an HVAC contractor. Is it possible to replace those valve assemblies with a single, modern gas valve. There is a 24V transformer supplying power. We'd like to not have to replace this unit since it was working when the house was shut down.

Thanks for your time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.