Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2013, 05:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

gas valve problem on Coleman 7663A mobile home furnace?

Stepdad got home from hospital, and Coleman 7663A mobile home furnace has a lit pilot, but does not come on.

1st repairman said knob was not in full indent position, so pilot would stay lit, but not turn the burners on -

2nd said need a new furnace because of possible invisible hairline cracks in the "drum" up high, that will allow hot/cold air to mix and blow pilot out.

Heat exchanger looks good according to #1, and from what I saw on his camera.

Would a faulty gas valve allow the pilot to stay lit, and not deliver gas to the burners? Couldn't quite tell from the posts I read here - also, is this a job for an average do-it-yourselfer?

appledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

Bad Valve, bad flame sensor, cobwebs or debris in the LP line. Could be any of those three.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 264

I'm confused by your question(s).

Did the first repairman get the furnace going or not. If it was as simple as the gas valve knob wasn't in the right position...... I would think he would have put it in the right position and the problem would have been solved.

Then you say a second repairman said the problem was due to "possible" cracks in the heat exchanger. This guy sounds like a scam (for lack of a better or nicer term) and I hope you didn't have to pay for the (in my opinion, scare tactic) opinion.

If you've had two different people to the house to look at the problem I would think by now you'd at a minimum have heat. ?????

Yes, a faulty gas valve can allow the pilot to stay lit and not allow the main burner to come on. So can the lack of power to the furnace, or a bad low voltage control transformer or an open high limit switch. The list goes on and on.
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #4

My stepdad and his friend decided to replace the whole furnace anyway - the put in a new Coleman unit that seems close to the one that was removed, at an 80% efficiency - they were afraid of getting cold, as my stepdad just got out of the hospital for a major heart attack, and his friend Ron is on oxygen -
I told them I don't feel the furnace needed replacing, to me the heat exchanger looked excellent (as the first repairman said) -

At least they got something for their money - it was $1950.00 -

Dennis
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

I would not say that they got something for their money, with a 80% unit. I know it is probably what they could afford at the time, but 80% units are about ready to go away, due to they waste more than saving the consumer.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 03-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #6

Lightbulb

The way I feel, if they look at their gas bill, it is almost nothing living here in So Cal - maybe 35 or 40 dollars per month - it is the electricity that is high.
It seems to be that money would be better spent putting in a less-efficient furnace and taking the rest of the money that would have been spent on a higher-priced furnace - and use it perhaps for better weatherstripping, window film or replacement windows, etc -
Also, the old Coleman furnace was just so damn reliable - this one was
37 years old - and I still don't think it was bad. I would have had it checked out again, and check up on the parts cost to make sure I got a reasonable deal for fixing it.
From what I am reading, the old standing-pilot furnaces are a lot more reliable than the newer high-efficiency models. If I were in a really cold climate, I would think I could keep these going by keeping a few replacement parts on hand - I am also reading that about the new digital thermostats - complaints of displays dead in a year or two, or them going crazy due to a stuck key, bad batteries, bad circuit board - I would rather have a thermostat not quite as precise, and have it last like the old ones do.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Actually the newer thermostats last just as long as the old Mercury ones if you take care of them, and not abuse them, along with making sure that you change out the batteries at least once of year if you are in a warm climate or every six months if in a cold climate.

As for standing pilot light appliances, they actually waste more, and wear out quicker, than the electronic pilots. Now of course or our home, after the 2006 Ice Storm, I put in a whole panel surge protector, due to we lost a microwave & a gas stove electronic circuit board, and did not want to have to go through paying to replace more electronic gear, due to surges from storms and the such.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #8

Thanks for the info - one of my fears would be to move to a really cold climate, and not have back-up heat -
Old 03-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledude View Post
Thanks for the info - one of my fears would be to move to a really cold climate, and not have back-up heat -
Cold would be Alaska, or even worst, up in Northern Siberia, where it can get to -70c below.

Here we have been lucky the past couple of Winters, and actually have had mild temps in the low 30's. I think that we only broke down into the mid 20's maybe for a couple of days off and in late Jan. mid Feb., and in the teens at night for a week.

I have worn a Farm jacket every day, and maybe a hoodie to work, rarely gloves but two days. Here it is the Summer in June to late August that gets us, with the worst last year in June, then cooler the rest.

I would rather be up in the Upper Peninsula of Wisconsin/Michigan during the Summer, than here, since their temps where my in-laws live, gets in the 40's at times at night, may be in the low 60's other nights, and some days only in the low 80's.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #10

Lightbulb

Here, it may get into the low 30's or maybe even high 20's once in blue moon - normally it gets into the 40's or so, and can be in the 80's or 90's anytime of the year, we are about half an hour inland from San Diego, about ten degrees warmer or colder than San Diego temps -

It almost always warms up into the 60's or higher during the day, so heating requirements are not a major expense - a/c is much higher -
Old 03-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,022

Yes there are higher efficiency furnaces today that many people are switching to but to each his own.

Many people are also not spending that money up front and are still installing 80% furnaces. Your step dad made a good decision based on his health and the other guys health.

No need for him to worry about the old heater he's got enough on his plate.

He did just fine. Hope he gets well soon. And you are a good guy looking out for him.

Tags
7600-3261, 7663, coleman, furnace, gas valve