Gas Stove - Main Burner Not Igniting - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Gas Stove - main burner not igniting

Hi Folks,

I have a 9 year old Hearthstone Tucson direct vent gas stove and the thing is driving me a bit nuts. The main burner comes on intermittently and the occasionally the pile would go out.

On the surface, this seemed to point to the Thermopile not generating enough juice to open the control valve, but I've now replaced it twice with new ones. I've tested the thermopiles with a volt meter and they seem to generate above 450 mv when I use the gas burner on my cooking stove to heat it up.

So I have two theories. 1. the pilot light is not generating enough flame to keep the thermopile creating juice. 2. the control valve is actually kaput.

I'm handy enough to replace either, but I'd certainly rather not spend the money on a new control valve if that's not the problem.

Is there an easy way to test the control valve by giving it a jolt of juice to see if the valve opens up?

What should I test to see if the pilot is creating enough heat for the thermopile. Is it simply testing the output of the thermopile while in place?

Thanks for any advice.

MikeinBurien

Advertisement

MikeinBurien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 738

Gas Stove - main burner not igniting

Post a good pic of the pilot flame hitting the pilot generator. If should be pure blue, no yellow and strong and surround the last 1/2" of the generator.

Advertisement