Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #1

Share |

Gas Smell From Vents

Hi - Just poking around for some possible answers here, as I'm reaching my wit's end with a problem. I'm not what you'd consider 'handy' at all, so -- please forgive me for not having a lot of technical information.

My furnace/heating unit works on LP gas. For about a week now, I've been smelling a gas-like smell every time my heat comes on. It lasts for a moment, and then goes away. It reminded me of the smell that sometimes is there at the start of the season when the unit's burning off dust and other particles in the ducts, but this is mid-season and it's lasted far longer than that problem usually lasts.

After 2-3 days of this, I called the homeowner (I rent) and informed them of the smell. They paid to have an HVAC service person come and crawl under the house and take a look. The technician informed me that he checked all lines for gas leaks, took the unit apart, and could find nothing that would be causing this problem. With nothing resolved, he left and told me "not to worry about it" and suggested I get a carbon monoxide detector. He also informed me that the unit is very old and needs replacing.

Several more days have passed, and the smell is getting worse and more persistent instead of fading. Can anyone offer any thoughts as to what might be causing this, and how service techs might be missing the source of this problem? It's really starting to bother me.

dingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Gas Smell From Vents

You could be getting CO Carbon Monoxide and need to get a detector ASAP. If the heat exchanger is cracked or CO is getting into your house it has no smell BUT it is exhaust gas which is moist and you may be smelling a warm moist smell. Where I am the gas utility will check your house for CO for free so you may want to call them. DO NOT take this lightly as it may get worse very soon and you may end up poisoned.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
HVAC / Plumbing

Gas Smell From Vents

If your concerned . I would call an HVAC company & pay them to check it. In my area landlords usually have a handy man that they use for everything from cutting grass to repairing heating units. They won't pay the price that HVAC companies charge Guess that's why most fires are from rental property in my area
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Gas Smell From Vents

Yep, they usually go with the cheapest service co (joes heat em and cheatem) who don`t always have the "sharpest knife in the drawer" "quality" techs.

Last edited by yuri; 12-13-2010 at 09:22 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:49 AM   #5

Gas Smell From Vents

Thanks very much for the replies. The owner of the home did call, as far as I could tell, a reputable area HVAC company. I'm picking up a carbon monoxide detector today.
dingus is offline   Reply With Quote