Gas Pressure Question / Big Pilot Flames - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Gas pressure question / big pilot flames

I have a natural gas 10k blue flame ventless heater with a big noisy pilot flame in the basement as supplemental heat down there, and a natural gas vented fireplace log set in another room also with a big noisy pilot flame. I called the gas company to ask them to check my pressure but they only do that for low pressure concerns - not high.(!). The house was built in the 50s and near before I bought it 2yrs ago the prior owner replaced what I'm sure judging from old ductwork was a big dinosaur of a furnace with a high efficiency Bryant 90i. I replaced the natural gas water heater last year and that was a 1994 model. I would imagine my current natural gas demand is much less than the house was previously demanding. Picking a gauge to measure nat gas pressure seems a lil complex, do I use psi or water columns... splurge for a gauge that does both? Looks like a gauge is $50 for something I'll use maybe twice The blue flame heater and the fireplace log set have regulators within them, so even if the pressure were high no biggee? Am I worrying about nothing? Strictly speaking all gas appliances work a-ok, and the pilot for the hot water is sealed in so I can't judge it's size/noise very well. Appreciate any thoughts!

Advertisement

Mrdippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:42 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,588

Gas pressure is generally measured in inches of water column.

Look at the gas valves. Should have an adjustment for the pilot.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

Those heaters usually have good size pilots. There usually long and thin pointed ( sort of) at the tip
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdippy View Post
I have a natural gas 10k blue flame ventless heater with a big noisy pilot flame in the basement as supplemental heat down there, and a natural gas vented fireplace log set in another room also with a big noisy pilot flame. I called the gas company to ask them to check my pressure but they only do that for low pressure concerns - not high.(!). The house was built in the 50s and near before I bought it 2yrs ago the prior owner replaced what I'm sure judging from old ductwork was a big dinosaur of a furnace with a high efficiency Bryant 90i. I replaced the natural gas water heater last year and that was a 1994 model. I would imagine my current natural gas demand is much less than the house was previously demanding. Picking a gauge to measure nat gas pressure seems a lil complex, do I use psi or water columns... splurge for a gauge that does both? Looks like a gauge is $50 for something I'll use maybe twice The blue flame heater and the fireplace log set have regulators within them, so even if the pressure were high no biggee? Am I worrying about nothing? Strictly speaking all gas appliances work a-ok, and the pilot for the hot water is sealed in so I can't judge it's size/noise very well. Appreciate any thoughts!
Make your own manometer for a couple bucks. Do a Google search. Pretty simple and dead-on accurate.
artbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks for the ideas! I have some new ideas to run down on this. I will make a manometer to put my mind at ease.
Mrdippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:09 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdippy View Post
Thanks for the ideas! I have some new ideas to run down on this. I will make a manometer to put my mind at ease.
Make sure you read the bottom of the meniscus.

Advertisement

artbuc is offline   Reply With Quote