Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gas Logs Issues

Have a set of gas logs with 2 problems. First they will not ignite with the ignitor button and second the remote control does not work. They will light with a match and burn fine. When I push the ignitor button there are sparks at the electrode. Also with the remote sometimes it shuts off the logs and sometimes it doesn't. It will not turn them on though.
Any advice is appreciated. Am wondering if the thermopile is shot. Logs are about 18 years old.

thanks

NJPhily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
how

Rewards Points: 512

Gas Logs Issues

If your igniter won't light the logs but a match will, then you have problem with the pilot assy. Either the spark is not directly in pilot path because of the electrode positioning or some debris in the cobra head of the pilot is deflecting the pilot gas away from the spark.

A number of possibilities with the remote problem. First make sure the remote battery and receiving unit batterys are good.

A faulty thermocouple can shut the whole gas valve down or but not prevent the pilot light from initially igniting.

how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #3

Gas Logs Issues

thanks for the reply. Will look closer at electrode positioning first. About the remote I'm not aware of the receiver having a battery. Our unit runs on AC. Any other ideas on that part?

thanks
Old 06-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
how

Gas Logs Issues

Transformer running it on 24V ac or a powerpile running it on 1/2 volt DC
would make sense but nooooooooh.
Most have a battery or two in the receiver. Check your instructions (which you probably don't have) or slip off the facing of the receiver.
I think these are self contained components from a second stage manufacturer sold to the fireplace manufacter.

If you tap the base of the pilot assy with a screwdriver like you are knocking on someone's front door while pressing down on the gas valve pilot control, the
combination of the pilot gas & the vibration will often clear obstructing cobra head debris.

Last edited by how; 06-20-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #5

Gas Logs Issues

Don't know what to think. The pilot is working fine with the button;so that issue is solved. Guess your words have remarkable power.
The remaining issue is turning off the fire. Sometimes the manual switch will not turn the fire off;I have to use the remote but the remote will not turn the logs on. So that's where the problem is.
BTW I did look at the receiver unit which I assume is the component that plugs into the wall.No battery nor is there any mention of one in the owner's manual.
Other ideas are appreciated.
thanks
Old 06-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
how

Gas Logs Issues

The receiver will be a box, in the same area as your fireplace gas valve. It receives the signal from your remote and manually switches on or off a wire that leads to your gas valve.

The manual switch should overide everything, so something's strange. I think, since there are hundreds of different fires place set ups, you should post some pictures that include the receiver box ,the gas valve, manual switch and hopefully some of the wiring.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #7

Gas Logs Issues

Here are a couple of pictures. So would the receiving unit be the item in the second picture behind the gas shut off? Thanks again for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Gas Logs Issues-img_0141.jpg   Gas Logs Issues-img_0142.jpg  
Old 06-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
how

Gas Logs Issues

Not Sure from your photo. What wires leave that box & where do they lead?
Old 07-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #9

Gas Logs Issues

Here are some more pics. The first pic shows the wires from that box running to terminals on the gas valve;they are the leftmost and center terminals.

The second pic shows wire from the house current;it runs to the manual on off switch.
So it makes me wonder if that box that is connected to wires in the first picture is the receiver?
thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Gas Logs Issues-img_0149.jpg   Gas Logs Issues-img_0146.jpg  
Old 07-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #10

Gas Logs Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post
Not Sure from your photo. What wires leave that box & where do they lead?
Hadn't heard back from ya.wondred if the new pics gave you any better ideas.
thanks again
Old 07-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
how

Gas Logs Issues

No the photos were not clear enough for me to see anything that looks like a receiver. The one's I've seen are roughly the size of a package of cigarettes, have always had batteries and were situated within a couple of feet of the gas valve. It has to be connected somewhere to the gas valve wires in order to work.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #12

Gas Logs Issues

Quote:
No the photos were not clear enough for me to see anything that looks like a receiver. The one's I've seen are roughly the size of a package of cigarettes, have always had batteries and were situated within a couple of feet of the gas valve. It has to be connected somewhere to the gas valve wires in order to work.
Here are 3 more.One is the valve,another is component behind the valve that connects to house current and the other is box plugged into house current.Now I'm wondering if that is the receiver. There's not much to it;no batteries inside. Nothing around the logs.Any more ideas are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Gas Logs Issues-img_0157.jpg   Gas Logs Issues-img_0156.jpg   Gas Logs Issues-img_0155.jpg  
Old 08-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
how

Gas Logs Issues

That black box labeled heat & glo seems to be the likely receiver. Where exactly do the two wires coming from it go?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #14

Gas Logs Issues

Quote:
That black box labeled heat & glo seems to be the likely receiver. Where exactly do the two wires coming from it go?
I feel kind of sheepish. Unplugged that box today and on the back of it in small print it has the words "remote control" that I assume it has to be the receiver. The wires go to the manual switch.
So any ideas?
thanks
Old 08-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #15
how

Gas Logs Issues

With the system and wiring you describe..
you have multiple faults happening..
Continuity through a circuit when it shouldn't be there and not enough continuity through a circuit when it should. You need a pro checking the dcmv output on the gas valve/ power pile and manual switch/receiver circuit to tell what's what.