Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Gas line riser support

Had my secondary gas line inspected today, ready to be backfilled however the inspector recommended that I fasten the gas line riser before backfilling for support. The risers I have look like this:

He suggested pounding PT lumber next to the riser into the ground and using clamps. Pounding lumber into the ground is too easy to split - even with a scrap piece of wood on top. What other solutions are out there?

n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:23 PM   #2

Gas line riser support

I wouldn't bother following his recommendation/suggestion (that's not compulsory language), because it's a waste of time. I've installed many underground gas lines and risers, and the ground itself is what supports the riser. Pad the line with clean fill, then stomp down the dirt as you build it up around the riser. I would suggest sleaving the riser where the PE pipe enters the riser with 1 1/4" ABS or something similar, running the tracer wire outside of the sleave. I would also sleave the riser where it comes out of the ground, with the tracer wire run inside of the sleave to protect it from weedwackers. If I was your inspector I would require you to follow my suggestions, lol.

hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:02 AM   #3

Gas line riser support

Thanks for the recommendation. Can a weed wacker actually penetrate a pipe that solid? Is 1 1/4" ABS going to fit on a 3/4" riser(pretty fat pipe)?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:33 AM   #4

Gas line riser support

The upper sleave is to protect the tracer wire from a weedwacker, but now that I think about it, I should have added that if you are going to pave around the riser, definitely use a sleave to protect it from concrete/asphalt. The concrete could eat the metal pipe, and hot asphalt could melt the plastic pipe inside the riser. Use whatever size sleave fits.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:42 AM   #5

Gas line riser support

No concrete around this run at either end. By code it's a sleeve around the pipe if concrete is around it as well in our area. The tracer wire will be facing the insides of the building at both ends to avoid being snipped. If there is little risk of the actual metal being punctured I think I'll pass on it this time.

I purchased metal brackets from the company that made me my gas line today to meet the inspectors requirements - his PT board idea wasn't the greatest. The fasten to the foundation and hold it in place. I think its a waste of time and money as well but hey he's the boss in this scenario and I'm Joe amateur. A
Old 08-31-2011, 01:39 AM   #6

Gas line riser support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0c7 View Post
No concrete around this run at either end. By code it's a sleeve around the pipe if concrete is around it as well in our area. The tracer wire will be facing the insides of the building at both ends to avoid being snipped. If there is little risk of the actual metal being punctured I think I'll pass on it this time.

I purchased metal brackets from the company that made me my gas line today to meet the inspectors requirements - his PT board idea wasn't the greatest. The fasten to the foundation and hold it in place. I think its a waste of time and money as well but hey he's the boss in this scenario and I'm Joe amateur. A
Did the inspector "recommend" (as you stated in your first post) or "require" (as you stated in your last post) to brace your new riser? If you're going to be pulling your own HO permits, you may want to familiarize yourself with compulsory vs. optional language. Or just do whatever the inspector tells you to do, lol, that may be a better option.

I highly recommend you put a sleave on the riser where the plastic pipe enters the metal riser, as this is the weak spot in the riser- if the plastic pipe gets pulled, it will likely sustain damage here.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:23 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,022

Gas line riser support

It definitely should have sleeve or something protecting it where it exits the ground.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #8

Gas line riser support

I bought brackets to satisfy the inspector incase he does my final as well and I'm slipping on some ABS tomorrow. Thanks guys.