DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   HVAC (
-   -   Gas line question. (

ryan50hrl 10-05-2012 11:59 AM

So I currently have a 1 inch line that has two 1/2 lines t off of it for the furnace and the water heater. Now I've bought a gas stove, I've run gas line before so I'm not concerned about the mechanical part if it, but the supply part. Easiest way for me to do this is to replace the elbow that feeds the water heater with a t and continue that line over to the stove. Is a 1/2 inch line sufficient to run a water heater and a stove?

gregzoll 10-05-2012 12:05 PM

I have a 3/4 feeding my stove, 1/2 feeding my water heater.

ryan50hrl 10-05-2012 12:12 PM

Well I'm pretty sure that I'm only required to run half inch to the stove, but will 1/2 inch linefeed both?

gregzoll 10-05-2012 12:15 PM

I would make a manifold with three T's. One for the furnace, one for the water heater, one for the stove. Place a Ball valve at the T's, so that you can shut each one off respectively. Especially makes it easier for the stove, so that you do not have to move it.

raylo32 10-05-2012 12:46 PM

I agree with Greg. Best to have one line for each. I have a 1/2" line to my stove (I think ~50,000 BTUH), a 1/2" line to my water heater (40,000 BTUH) and a 3/4" line to my furnace (80,000 BTUH) all off separate t's on a 1 1/2" manifold. I seriously doubt that connecting 2 loads of the size you are suggesting to a single 1/2" line would meet code... even though it would probably "work" since it is unlikely that your water heater would come on at the same time when you have every single burner going on the stove/oven.

hvac benny 10-05-2012 01:50 PM

Anyone telling you what size to use is simply guessing and giving you possibly dangerous advice. To size a gas line, you need to know the pressure, the lengths and the loads. Draw the system out, then use the gas line sizing tables applicable to your area (B149 in Canada). Then, and only then, you will have your answer. An undersized line could have severe repercussions, both to your appliances' life and your own.

carmon 10-05-2012 03:38 PM

and no gas permit means home insurance issues.... please get permit

ben's plumbing 10-05-2012 05:45 PM

water heater is 35,000 or 40,000 many btu is stove.... how long of run is it ... then we can go from there...ben sr

ryan50hrl 10-05-2012 06:02 PM

Water heater Is 40k and three feet from the 1 inch line, range is 71.2k and is 15 feet from water heater.

carmon 10-05-2012 06:47 PM

you need the total load longest run and distance to each appliance... I can size it in 2 seconds for you but canadian codes may differ from yours...

beenthere 10-05-2012 06:50 PM

I'd change the tee at the 1" to a 3/4" tee. Then run 3/4" to the water heaters current ell and reduce to 1/2" to teh water heater, and continue with 3/4" to the stop valve your gonna use for the stove. that way, the water heater shouldn't have any effect on the stove.

hvac benny 10-05-2012 06:50 PM

You need to measure the gas lines back to the meter (provided there are no regulators in between). The longest measured run will give you the code zone, and from there you can determine pipe capacity once you know the pressure (probably 7" w.c.).When you say 3' away, do you mean 3' of pipe, or physically 3' from the 1" gas line?

ryan50hrl 10-05-2012 07:09 PM

Physically 3 feet. And gas line all the way in is 1 inch.

carmon 10-05-2012 07:11 PM

whats the longest run and total load...then we can help:no:

hvac benny 10-05-2012 07:20 PM


Originally Posted by ryan50hrl
Physically 3 feet.

Thats what i thought. We'll need the length of the pipes.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1