Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #1

Share |

Gas Line Pressure & Furnace Intake?

Is it ok to test the pressure of a new gas line while it is hooked up to the Furnace? 25Psi is the target pressure for 24hrs.

In the manual for the furnace it shows a picture of how they want the horizontal "intake" is suppose to be. Go vertical "x#" ft then 90*. After the 90* they want a "T' pointing down to drain condensate. From the "T" the show a hose looped to create a trap. Then it directs you to connect it to the drain. Now what i am unsure about is what if either of the traps dry out? that creates the possibility of drawing gases from the drain. This doesn't seem right.

The Furnace is a Comfort-Aire 95% efficient, 75k Btu 2 stage. if some who has this the diagram is on pg24 Fig 15.

Thanks,
Tim
MNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #2

No, remove the gas line from any appliances and regulators and plug/cap them, otherwise you'll over pressurize and ruin the regulators/ gas valves. Follow the directions on how the manufacturer wants the intake and exhaust to be "to a tee"; there's a reason why they specify how they want the appliances that they designed to be installed. If the trap does happen to dry out, be assured that the furnace creates quite a bit of condensation that will fill the trap quickly.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac benny View Post
No, remove the gas line from any appliances and regulators and plug/cap them, otherwise you'll over pressurize and ruin the regulators/ gas valves. Follow the directions on how the manufacturer wants the intake and exhaust to be "to a tee"; there's a reason why they specify how they want the appliances that they designed to be installed. If the trap does happen to dry out, be assured that the furnace creates quite a bit of condensation that will fill the trap quickly.
Thanks! glad i asked. I surely dont want to wreck nothing. Well the cause for concern is that the "T" is on the Intake where it would be drawing fresh cold air from outside. I agree about following the instruction manual it was just a red flag i thought I'd share and see what thoughts I could get on it. One of the Guys at The Orange Box store even asked why i had to do it when i was looking for the parts.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
AKA HVACTECHFW

I have never seen a tee like that for a condensate trap on the "intake" as you said. On the exhaust, sure, but not the intake. As far as the Orange box store, that is just funny.... on average they dont know anything about HVAC other than the junk they sell.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #5

D'oh! I just realized that, while I read intake, I was thinking exhaust. But at any rate, I stand by what I wrote: install the intake and exhaust as per manufacturers instructions. Every brand seems to have their own little quirks that can be easily discovered by reading the installation instructions. I know a lot of techs don't think they need to read them, but I am always surprised at the things that I find in them that other install/service techs have no idea about. Be sure to read them a few times just so you know you understand them correctly. Also, for you techs out there, it's always a good idea to go to the seminars/classes put on by manufacturers so that you keep up to date on new products, as well as on new info about older products.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hvac benny For This Useful Post:
MNice (10-02-2011)
Old 10-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac benny View Post
D'oh! I just realized that, while I read intake, I was thinking exhaust. But at any rate, I stand by what I wrote: install the intake and exhaust as per manufacturers instructions. Every brand seems to have their own little quirks that can be easily discovered by reading the installation instructions. I know a lot of techs don't think they need to read them, but I am always surprised at the things that I find in them that other install/service techs have no idea about. Be sure to read them a few times just so you know you understand them correctly. Also, for you techs out there, it's always a good idea to go to the seminars/classes put on by manufacturers so that you keep up to date on new products, as well as on new info about older products.
I posted picks of the the manual here Schedule 40 fitting help. if ya wanna see what i'm talking about