Gas Hot Water Tank Power Vent Location - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gas hot water tank power vent location

I am in Ontario, Canada. I am installing a new gas hot water tank that has a power vent. I am looking for the code that tells me the restrictions when installing. Where I want to bring the vent out there is a deck , windows and a door. How close can I be to these items and are there any tips or tricks to venting? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Raymg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,464

If there is a deck, windows, doorway within 4 feet where you want to vent the water heater, you will have to determine best option. The whole reason of staying away from those areas, is due to heat & co & other emissions from the exhaust.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 806

B 149 code in Canada. Usually the info is in the install instructions. The code book is very expensive and if you nicely talk to your local gas co who has engineers and inspectors they may look it up for you. You need to take a permit out and have it inspected in Canada and be a licensed gas fitter or face some serious liability issues. Or get one to take out the permit and tag it for you and you pay him. Ontario is VERY VERY strict over code issues with the TSSA organization watching all the tradesmen and installs. You don't want to fool around with the regs and authorities in Ontario.

http://www.tssa.org/regulated/fuels/...Training01.asp

http://shop.csa.ca/en/canada/2010-natural-gas-and-propane-code/page
/b149?gclid=CJGy_560pawCFYbrKgodFl244Q

Last edited by yuri; 11-07-2011 at 04:18 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote