Gas Furnace Will Not Ignite After Line Purge - Please Help. - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gas Furnace will not ignite after line purge - please help.

Hi,

I have a problem. I just replaced a leaky isolation valve on my furnace and it will not start back on.

Its a York furnace, gas. I purged the line a checked for leaks, everything is good, but then I tried to turn it on and the furnace turns the ignition on, which creates a buzzing sound, but no ignition. It says hat it has a intemittent electronic pilot.

In any case, what should I do short of calling a technitian? It was working fine before I disconnected the line. Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

philsoldat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #2

OK, found out that it is a honeywell s86E electronic ignition pilot with valve. It looks like the igniter which looks like a spark plug works fine, but the pilot light wont come on...maybe the valve wont open, but I have no idea what to do, I tried to reset the pilot light as per manual instructions but still not light...any ideas please.

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 862

It can take 6 or more trials for ignition as you may have some airlock in the gas line right at the valve which needs to purge thru the small pilot line. Try it some more times. Make sure the knob on the gas valve is in the ON position and that you did not disconnect any wires to the valve or loosen them. Did you turn the gas back on at the meter?

Last edited by yuri; 05-11-2010 at 08:17 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:24 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,688

Depending where you purged/bled the line at. You can still have air in the line that the gas valve has to get rid of before the pilot or main burners can light. This can take several ignition cycles as Yuri said.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #5

Hey, thanks so much for the replys!

Ok so more precisely its a s86e intermittent pilot light control module with a 2094 model gas valve. The valve is atleast 10 years old...no manual

I have already tried to reset and light the pilot light about 4 times already, with letting the ignitor run the spark for atleast 30 seconds at a time. Should I keep trying?

I purged the line at the valve/union connection earlier, and connected the union. I then tried multiple times to get the furnace started, it didnt happen so far. The switch on the valve is ON, i believe. The pipe between the union the valve and the burners inside the furnace is quite long. I read in the control box manual that the valve should have an automatic shutoff when air is present in the line, infact I think as soon as the furnace tries to get the pilot lit, I hear a click in the valve, which I think means it closes.

So another question is that I cannot find the manual for the valve online only for the control box, I was hoping there were some kind of instructions on how to maybe purge the valve, because there is a tap screw on the back of it by the thin line that feeds the pilot.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

In the meanwhile I'll keep trying