DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Gas Furnace Shuts off and doesn't turn back on

11K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  cnrb 
#1 ·
I have a 20 year old Snyder General gas furnace that doesn't turn back on once it shuts off. Sometimes it shuts off before getting to desired temperature, other times it gets to desired temperature then shuts off but it usually won't turn back on until I've reset it at the thermostat.

Usually turning it off and on at the thermostat will get it going for a while. The filters are new and this just started last week. I'm not sure where to begin looking to determine what's wrong. Any advice would be appreciated -> I don't know furnaces so you'll probably have to really spell it out for me.

Thanks.

#4 ·
I am having the same problem. I have a nineteen year old Snyder General gas furnace with a White-Rodgers Digital Comfort Set II thermostat. Until now, I never had problems with either one and I have been in this house for several years.

The furnace works when I turn of the thermostat and then turn it back on. It will heat to the desired temp. but will not kick back on when temp. drops back down.

Snyder General model no.:GUG070A008IN

Any troubleshooting advice is welcome!

#6 ·
I am having the same problem. I have a nineteen year old Snyder General gas furnace with a White-Rodgers Digital Comfort Set II thermostat. Until now, I never had problems with either one and I have been in this house for several years.

The furnace works when I turn of the thermostat and then turn it back on. It will heat to the desired temp. but will not kick back on when temp. drops back down.

Snyder General model no.:GUG070A008IN

Any troubleshooting advice is welcome!

I must have installed over three hundred of the GUG series. But to get to the point: Two, possibly three things can be the mos likely reason (other reason are possible too but I'd need more input to be sure of them).

The sensor could need cleaning. The igniter could be weak. Or the module could be bad.

best thing to do is watch the the furnace light. If it fails after a few tries than lights. It's probably the sensor.

#7 ·
Thanks!

Thank you for the great advice. I didn't get a chance to try any of it though, as after two days on not working, my thermostat/furnace started working normally again. I will definitely keep the advice in mind for future recurrances. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.