Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gas Furnace Replacement

What is usually included with a furnance replacement? A home warranty company has stated that they will cover the cost to replace our gas furnace. What will the related effects on my AC unit be? What are the variables that need to be considered if only the furnace will be replaced?

annharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Gas Furnace Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by annharris View Post
What is usually included with a furnace replacement? A home warranty company has stated that they will cover the cost to replace our gas furnace. What will the related effects on my AC unit be? What are the variables that need to be considered if only the furnace will be replaced?
Who is choosing the contractor, you or the home warranty company? Because they usually use the bottom of the barrel hack and wack company's that are hard up for any work they can get there hands on.

To answer your question, if your current system is up to code, the duct work, low and high voltage wires and the gas connection can all be re-used with some slight modifications, which all should be covered by the HWC. The A/C evaporator coil should be properly supported during the removal of the old furnace and the installation of the new one, they should only have to disconnect the low voltage A/C wires from the furnace and then re-connect them with the rest of the low voltage wires.

The other very important question that you have to ask yourself and the home warranty company is this, Is the furnace they are taking out apples to apples with what they are putting in? In other words if they are taking out a Lennox, and putting in a Goodman.....you are getting the very short end of the stick.

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,038

Gas Furnace Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by annharris View Post
A home warranty company has stated that they will cover the cost to replace our gas furnace.
Don't believe everything you're told...
and especially not from someone trying to sell you a "home warranty"

Quote:
What are the variables that need to be considered if only the furnace will be replaced?
How old is the A/C equipment? a) the coil and b) the condenser
If 10 years old or more ... bite the bullet and replace the whole shebang.

Quote:
What is usually included with a furnace replacement?
The furnace itself and the miniumm amount of sheet metal, piping and control work needed to install it and have it function.

hth
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

Gas Furnace Replacement

Name the home warranty company and I'll tell you. My hvac company works pretty much soley for them.

American Home Shield.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Gas Furnace Replacement

On a furnace you can expect to pay for disposal and any and all plenum or transition modifications, exhaust mods as well. Possible duct modifications tOo.

The home warranty will pay for the new furnace and in most cases, regardless of which warranty company it is, not much else.

American Home Shield, however, will cover a lot of extra cost such as disposal if the home owner has the correct plan to do so.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 276

Gas Furnace Replacement

I'm affraid it's the same way in Vegas home warranty jobs are the worst, whether it be changeouts or repairs.
Never heard of a home warranty in all my years living in California but it seems like 90% of homeowners here use them and when it comes to hvac issues, most turn into either a drawn out nightmare repair, or a hacked in replacement.
I dont know what happens in Texas but many times I've seen home warranty companies put new compressors in 20 to 30+ year old units.
sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
REP

Rewards Points: 500

Gas Furnace Replacement

As a whole ,Home warranty companies are more into making money on your premiums then they are in getting you the proper repair or replacement.
I've done way more things to get a heating or cooling system right then the HWC would allow.Things like installing properly sized RA drops or adding an extra supply or return in the house.You can tell them that something caused the equipment for prematurely failed but they let things go in one ear and out the other.Just replace the motor and nothing else and ya I've donated my share of capacitors too .Everything they do is based on thinking they might not even be cliants next year so why do anything to give a repair a chance to last 5 or 10 years.So there is my experience and my rant.I used to do them but after giving trhem way too long to change I stopped.
My suggestion on getting a replacement is to make sure they do a manuel "J" and not a cheap replacement that they have come up with/
With fuel costs steadily going up it is imperitive to get a furnace sized to your house.Not getting one done is like buying new jeans with holes in every pocket.You will lose money.That isn't even just good advice,its absolutely imperritive.
After you get the right size then you can decide to save more by going to high effiency furnace.
I don't know your house or your furnace,but it would not be out of the question that what you save in 5 years would pay for the extra a high weffiency would cost you over what the pay out the HWC is willing to give you if you went that way.
Good Luck
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

Gas Furnace Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy37 View Post
I'm affraid it's the same way in Vegas home warranty jobs are the worst, whether it be changeouts or repairs.
Never heard of a home warranty in all my years living in California but it seems like 90% of homeowners here use them and when it comes to hvac issues, most turn into either a drawn out nightmare repair, or a hacked in replacement.
I dont know what happens in Texas but many times I've seen home warranty companies put new compressors in 20 to 30+ year old units.

I'll lay it on the line for you. On a compressor changeout the recovery and refrigerant is charged to the homeowner, plus disposal. If the home warranty company does not order and pay for a new filter drier than it's not changed. Sometimes, dependant upon what type of coverage a home owner may have, disposal and revocery and everything else may be paid for. This means that the unlucky hvac company tech that got the call stands no chance of making any money on the job. The company does but not much. They bill for hourly rate to the home warranty company and that's it.

Now when it comes to non covered costs (recovery and disposal and whatnot else) on a coverge plan that does not pay for any of that, it comes out of the home owner's pocket. Their hand is forced in this situation, they have to pay for it otherwise they get a brand new compressor sitting on their dOorstep.

And again, if the warranty company does not order and pay for a new filter drier than the old one simply has to be good enough if there's one at all. We aren't going to lose money on a job, period, and it's not our job to. It's financial, nothing else.

Recovery is let's say roughly $150, disposal the same and refrigerant, piping modifications as well so on a policy where the compressor is paid for but not non covered costs the company stands to make $600, half to the tech. That's what we want and shOot for, $300 in our pocket for two hours of work.

Now if we decide that the entire condensing unit is beyond repair and needs changing than the same applies, the home owner's hand is forced a slight bit as they have to pay for any and all noncovered costs including a filter drier, piping mods, disposal, recovery, insulation and lineset flush and if we can sell 'em a disconnect, that too. Whatever we can think of that will both make us money and leave the customer satisfied we do.

Many warranty companies only allow for up to $125 billable, some three times that much or even much greater but we, the techs, still have to make our money as we do not get paid a hill of beans per call that we do not sell anything on. And that happens many, many times.

Yes, due to this cat and mouse game it turns out that not all jobs are dealt with on a fully professional level, the time and effort not given but all I can do by myself and do the best I can and I do that regardless of who I work for.

I can say I always do it right.

I've been on both sides of the fence, started off for the first 11 years not even knowing what a home warranty company was. I made roughly the same amount of money., Heck, I've made near a grand for 45 minutes I would make the same home warranty or not. All I did was sell a complete system, didn't even have to install it but one thing I can say is that during the slow season we, those associated with home warranty companies, at least get a few calls a day whereas many regular non related to home warranty hvac contracting firms let their employees go.

You pay the same in the end, one way or the other.

As for a compressor in a 20 year old unit, the more offical pieces that we "kill" such as an entire condenser or evaporator, the worse off it is for the company. Too many and the warranty company black lists us for a while or forever.

Again, financial. Our hands are tied as well.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:52 AM   #9
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,442

Gas Furnace Replacement

Wow, What a Greasy business.