Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #1

Share |

Gas furnace on and off 3 times

My gas Goodman furnace will light and burn for about 10 seconds, then go out, it will light again for about 10 seconds, and then go out, it will light again for about 10 seconds and the go out again for a final time. This cycle will repeat if I restart the furnace. The LED light remains red the entire time this is going on, and when it cycles off the final time the LED light just continually flashes. I have a few questions regarding this.
1) How fast do the flashes occur? Are they relatively slow or fast. If they are relatively slow, then it's possible that it's 5 flashes after it shuts off the final time.
2) When are you suppose to check the lights? Like I said, it stays on the whole time it's cycling through the on/off, and then just flashes pretty slowly once it turns off the last time.
3) Any idea what the issue is?

hooty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #2

Sounds like a dirty flame sensor. The pros will weigh in soon, no doubt, but in the interim you could do a search here and find a lot on the topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooty22 View Post
My gas Goodman furnace will light and burn for about 10 seconds, then go out, it will light again for about 10 seconds, and then go out, it will light again for about 10 seconds and the go out again for a final time. This cycle will repeat if I restart the furnace. The LED light remains red the entire time this is going on, and when it cycles off the final time the LED light just continually flashes. I have a few questions regarding this.
1) How fast do the flashes occur? Are they relatively slow or fast. If they are relatively slow, then it's possible that it's 5 flashes after it shuts off the final time.
2) When are you suppose to check the lights? Like I said, it stays on the whole time it's cycling through the on/off, and then just flashes pretty slowly once it turns off the last time.
3) Any idea what the issue is?

Old 10-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #3

pilot is lighting which means the ID fan is working and the pressure switch is making contact, as it should..then, the pilot lights and the `flame rod sensor must prove there is a pilot then the main gas valve opens..in your case the flame rod is not picking up the pilot..the pilot is lighting ..right...so pull out the flame rod clean with fine sand paper or steel wool and re install..if it doesn`t work then replace it.
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote