Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gas furnace not lighting

I have a carrier crusader model number 58ssc075-gc. I am getting no heat, when I self test by touching a penny to the 2 self-test posts, the small black fan at the top of the unit comes on, the ignitor becomes hot, I hear what I believe is the click calling for gas, then nothing. When I call for heat with the thermostat, the big fan comes on for about 15 seconds and then nothing. I am not sure what to do next. Any ideas will be helpful as I am a single mom with 4 kids and we are freezing. Thanks in advance

y0ungshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 506

Gas furnace not lighting

Problem could be several things including tripped safety limit switches or control board. I am not familiar with that model but bumping the thread for you so the pros can perhaps weigh in.

raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Gas furnace not lighting

shut the furnace toggle switch OFF on the side first off.. go to the stat remove the stat from the subbase and unscrew the W wire and screw it to the R terminal so there are 2 wires screwed down W is usually WHITE wire..R is usually a RED wire WHY: this will by passes the stat now go to the furnace and put that toogle switch back on see what happens get back asap...OK
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #4

Gas furnace not lighting

check this site and for that RE-SET button above the Pressure Switch(round silver thing)with the orange tube from the Draft motor fan duct.... http://www.justanswer.com/hvac/2qwaj...-100-when.html
Old 10-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #5

Gas furnace not lighting

and this site for help...check the round fins on the main supply fan in the bottom of that furnace for dirt dust... http://www.selfhelpforums.com/showthread.php?t=8133
Old 10-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #6

Gas furnace not lighting

SOOOO whats going on......1:59 EST
Old 10-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Gas furnace not lighting

When I move the W and R wires to R, the same thing happens, the blower motor comes on for about 15-20 seconds and then shuts off, nothing new. I have pushed the reset button above the pressure switch with no results.
y0ungshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #8

Gas furnace not lighting

OK on that R to W jump the same action tells me its not the stat or wire running to it from the furnace.....sorry can't give yo any more if there is a solid state board something is going on with it for a heating call.....and you know you have gas running with your stove working had to askand the valve is set to ON on the DIAL
Old 10-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
how

Rewards Points: 512

Gas furnace not lighting

Does the igniter you have look evenly hot or is it just white hot in one spot? Is there a white discoloured spot on one part of the igniter when it's cold?
Do you see a flashing led anywhere on your furnace? This could be a diagnostic aid in figuring out whats wrong.
I am guessing that either your hot surface igniter is not giving an amp draw worthy of continuing(hense the question asking if the igniter is evenly hot) and the click you are hearing is the mother board shutting down.. or..the igniter is OK and the click sound is coming from a gas valve that should be operating but is faulty. Do you have any other gas appliances that are working? Is the lever handle of gas shut off valve to the furnace pointing in the same direction as the piping it's on? Is the toggle switch on the gas valve pointing to the "on" position?
If you think that nothing mechanical is interupting the gas supply and the majority of the igniter is an even color when hot, then the testing beyond this point requires a meter to see if the gas valve is receiving the power to operate.

Last edited by how; 10-30-2011 at 05:01 PM.
how is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, gas, ignitor, not lighting