Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Angry

Gas Furnace Issue....Help

I have two Amana 80SV gas furnaces. One for upstais and one for downstairs. One is working perfectly while the other is having issues. The current issue is 4 LED flashes on the panel near the bottom blower. 4 flashes pause 4 flashes and so on. The big blower comes on at the bottom of the furnace but nothing else happens. I have reseated and checked for loose cables and all seems to be OK. The inducer blower never comes on. Any ideas what to check. Units are about 10 years old. Thanks

cwoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 60

The 4 flashes is an error code. There should be a list of them on a sticker on the back of one of the doors or in the owners/service manual.

yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:56 AM   #3

Yes I know that. I was wondering if someone had seen this error before and knew what it was. 4 flashes has a long laundry list of what it could be. Thanks
Old 12-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 96

Kind of hard for use to know which one of that laundry list it is from our monitors.

Did you check any of them.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #5

I visually checked all the wiring and nothing looks like it disconnected or loose. I also swapped the induced draft blower and that is not either.

On the electronic panel on the bottom I have 4 flashes on the LED then pause the 4 flashes. Any other ideas? I would like to fix this myself if possible. Thanks
Old 12-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #6

My manual also says faulty limit? Is this a hardware component in my furnace? If so what does it look like? Thanks
Old 12-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

It will be somewhere in the burner compartment.

It goes bad from too low of an air flow through the furnace.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #8

Well its fixed for now. It was the auxiliary reset button which is located on top of the main blower. What caused this to trip I have no idea but the manaul never said anything about checking this button for a 4 flash error on the LED panel. I just happened to find it by using google search also the manaul that came with the furnace. I pushed the button to reset it and now it works fine..............
Old 12-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Check air filter.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #10

Air filter was dirty but never had an issue with the furnace not coming on due to dirty filter. I change the filter but it didnt clear the 4 flashes on the LED panel until I did the auxilary reset button. Now works perfectly. I am leaving it alone for now. Thanks
Old 12-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

The auxilary is a manual reset. So teh error wouldn't reset until the auxilary was reset.
Be prepared for it to do it again.
Could have been a combination of the dirty air filter, and your A/C coil getting dirty.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #12
Hvac Pro

On a counterflow the fan has to fail for the heat to rise and trip that switch. Or a power failure when it is running full blast. Circuit board may be failing, motor overheating or going to slow due to weak capacitor.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #13

I had a problem with this unit last winter. The problem was the fan would not blow unless I set the thermostat to on and not set to auto. But the heat would work fine I would just have to turn off the heat once the house was warm.

Now this winter the big blower would always come on but I had 4 flashes on the LED panel but after the aux reset all is fine for now. 4 flashes on the LED panel is a really vague error from what I can tell from the technical manual. 4 flashes says nothing about a bad circuit board it more or less just says bad airflow. So if it does it again is there anything I need to replace or check? Thanks
Old 12-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #14
Hvac Pro

The fan must ALWAYS work when set to auto. You may have a intermittent problem with the circuit board OR the motor control module if it is a variable speed ECM motor. Intermittent problems are the WORST. Usually they get worse and the part will fail. If it is still under warranty have them come and check it. Check for loose wiring harnesses to the motor and board CAREFULLY as they are delicate.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #15

My units are 10 years old so no warranty that I know of. I checked all the wiring and all looks tight and in good shape. I looked at the circuit board and it looks OK but I know problems are not alway visible when it comes to electronics. I hope this problem does not pop back up for the rest of the winter. The A/C has always worked perferctly and have only had problems when turning on the heat. Does that isolate it to parts that are only used for heating and not for cooling? Thanks