Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #1

Share |

Gas furnace brands, which is better, Comfortmaker, American Standard, and Lennox?

Gas furnace brands, which is better, Comfortmaker, American Standard, and Lennox?

From the quotes I got Comfortmaker is about about $1k cheaper than American Standard which is a little cheaper than Lennox.

Is Comfortmaker pretty good, or is it worth the extra money for one of the other two brands?

TIA

abefroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

depends on the features. Like vehicles. different makes models have different features

Last edited by kenmac; 11-09-2010 at 01:39 PM.
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #3

Thumbs down

Whatever you do, don't purchase Goodman products. Their products are awful and they have lost of lawsuits.
Jill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

The quality of the installation is a big point.

Buy the best and have poor installation, what you buy makes little difference.

If it is a DIY installation, your complaint department is a mirror.

Many of the components in a furnace are really quite generic, but how they work together makes a difference.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

Goodman is OK now as they are married to Amana. Back in the 90"s and early 2000's they had a bad batch of heat exchangers in their mid efficiency furnaces which gave them a bad name. OK now.
ben's plumbing (04-22-2014), hvactech126 (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill O View Post
Whatever you do, don't purchase Goodman products. Their products are awful and they have lost of lawsuits.
Thats a pretty bold statement. Goodman has been putting out a great product for almost the last ten years.
I'm not crazy about some of their cabinet designs but I've installed quite a few of their products with no major problems.
Where I live, a lot of residential neighborhoods have rooftop a/c units and I can tell you that Goodman is outselling every other brand by a long shot here in Vegas.
sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

They are as good as the installer. I have an Armstrong Air outdoor unit, Lennox Signature Series indoor unit. If I had to replace the inside unit. I would go with Armstrong. The outdoor unit is really quiet.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:48 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill O View Post
Actually, Goodman stands behind their products better then many other manufacturers do. Their have greatly improved their units over the last 10 or so years. And now also own Amana. Goodman itself is now owned by Daiken. Most of this is mute as the OP asked nothing about Goodman. Plus this is not a brand bashing site.
ben's plumbing (04-22-2014), sammy37 (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #9

When it comes to commercial Goodman units, it looks like they only put the Daiken name on them now. It took a while for Goodman commercial units to take hold here but now there are quite a few going in, especially since they designed them to fit the Carrier footprint.
sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #10

I just had to chime in...I just had a new furnace and ac installed and couldn't be happier....it all boiled down to the installer.

The car analogy couldn't be more spot on. Think of your brand as a pickup truck...I'm a chevy guy. That doesn't mean it's better than a dodge or for or nissan or toyota. Its just what i prefer and have had good luck with.

Now...I purchase my trucks in the middle to slightly upper middle trim line. this would be an LT or an XLT. I'm not a Denali or King Ranch kind of guy. Those are very nice and packed with features but at the end of the day...they just don't trip my trigger.

BTW.....I purchased a Goodman...after looking at many others.
poorboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:03 PM   #11

even the best...can suck if not installed right....even the lower end builder units can give good service based on installation..

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote