I've got a gas fireplace that is now creating a smell when it's on. This was a natural fireplace, used for 15 years with no problem. Before converting to gas I had the chimney inspected and cleaned. I installed the gas log myself about 6 years ago. When I first installed it there was some smell, but I'm told this is natural while the logs get broke in and some of their finish burns off. No problem for a few years after that. Now it smells every time it's used, so bad that the wife doesn't want to turn it on anymore. It's not a gas smell and there is no smell if the unit isn't turned on. I checked and the damper is open and the chimney is clear. I've let it run for some time to warm up the chimney and get a good upward draft going, but it still smells. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment available on the burner assembly. Any ideas what my problem is and how to fix it?
Are you sure all the flu gasses are drafting up the chimney. Or do you have doors on the fireplace and if so do you get the smell when the doors are closed. To check the draft take a match or piece of burning paper and hold it near the top of the opening to the fireplace wile it is running and see if the smoke is drawn up the flu or backs into the room.
DONT KNOW WHERRyou live but if it colder than normal like most of the northeast is than perhaps the logset cant produce enough heat to effectively heat the chimmney think about how much larger a real fire is than just a logset thats a pretty substancial differance. try it when the weather warms up see if it stops and youll have your answer. on another note are the logs sooting up?