Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #1

Share |

Gas Fireplace repair - DIY?

I have a Temco Gas Fireplace (and of course, they've gone out of business).

The flame sensor or thermocouple is bad.

Is this something I can replace myself - are there "universal" replacements?

TIA,
Steve

llatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #2

There are several types of thermocouples. Most are universal and replaceable. Not sure what you have though.

SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

The fire insert will have a thermocouple and yes an universal will work

You also have a pilot generator and they are universal too

What is the concern with the insert?

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber101 View Post
The fire insert will have a thermocouple and yes an universal will work

You also have a pilot generator and they are universal too

What is the concern with the insert?

First the ignitor went bad (actually, never worked properly).

No worries, light by match.

After a while, the ignition setting would flame, but when I released the knob (to leave it set to pilot) the flame would go out.

Initially, it always had to "warm up". But it got worse and worse. I found if, when the ignitor flame was burning, I tilted the unit (or blew gently onto the flame to push it down) to get the flame to touch the sensor (which is what I assume it to be) it would remain lit, and the fireplace would operate normally.

Last year, it finally got to where it would shut itself off automatically and now I can't get it to stay on (can still light the flame initially with a match).

There's a "dual" unit outside of the gas nozzle - there's an ignitor (when it worked, you could see the spark being generated there when you pushed the button) and another "probe" like brass piece connected to a long piece of copper tubing.

The two pieces are held in by a single "mount" but each can be taken out individually.

I'm not so concerned about the ignitor - don't mind using a match. But obviously if the flame sensor/thermocouple is out, I can't use it.

Usually, in the winter, I leave the pilot on all the time (ventless FP). I have carbon monoxide detectors on both floors and neither have ever registered anything (I think it said they have to register 11 ppm before they'll even list a "last highest concentration".

It keeps the chill off, and we run it occaisionally - most especially when the main heater breaks, which happens every year.

I learned about the flame sensor because that's what's been wrong with my home heater every single time - I've paid to have it replaced twice and after the guy showed me it could be lightly sanded to remove some of the carbon buildup, I've made it two years without having to replace it yet.

I was hoping the same might be true about this FP, and I did lightly sand that probe - as a last resort after knowing it's basically "broke" at this point.

I'd just buy a new set of logs if I could afford it.

If I could afford to have a pro come over and do it, I just do that.

But if it's something I can tackle, safely, and more cost effectively, I'd like to.

Thanks,
Steve
llatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Replacing a thermocouple is easy

Shut gas off to the insert

Locate the gas valve..the small copper line coming off the valve should be the thermocouple. It is attached to the gas valve and you need a 5/16 wrench to loosen it

After you loosen follow it to the mount of the fireplace and loosen to remove

Then reverse steps to install

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:31 PM   #6

If the pilot flame does not contact the thermocouple you need to clean the pilot orfice.
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:24 AM   #7

It is a waste of time to replace the thermocouple, it is probably not bad. Your unit is in need of proper servicing. Temco says that it is suppose to be serviced at least once per year by a qualified service tech.

When you alter the pilot assembly in any way on a ventfree gas fireplace, you alter the pilot safety shut-off system and oxygen depletion sensor which could cause serious harm to you and your family. Ventfree gas logs are a very good source of heat when properly maintained, but PROPER maintainence is not a DIY project. It takes me at least 45 minutes to properly service a Temco VF.

Cleaning the pilot assembly may get your unit working, but there is much more to servicing a VF than just that. I check for gas leaks, carbon monoxide output, clean and inspect air shutters, test the pilot safety shut-off system, verify proper log placement, clean the burners, clean the firebox, inspect and adjust the ignition system, make sure it has the proper flame pattern and color..........

If you miss something, you may get off easy and only have to paint your interior and have the carpet and furniture cleaned or you may get a free trip to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisioning !!
log_doc_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:05 AM   #8

I have a question.
Jayhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:10 AM   #9

I have temco DV1400N lp gas burning. My problem is my burner won't stay on, I can get it to stay on with the glass off but as soon as I put the glass on, "click" everything goes off, burner and pilot. I noticed the problem coming on it would click off after 10-15 mins then it got shorter and shorter and now to clicks off after only seconds being on. Please help!!!!!!!!
Jayhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:19 AM   #10
Hvac Pro

putting the glass on increases the air pressure inside it and or changes the draft. this may be pushing the flame away from the pilot generator. you need a Pro to check the pilot burner for cleanliness and a proper flame and venting etc and for safety also.