Gas Burner Lazy - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gas burner lazy

hello everyone. my first time here. im looking for possible clues to whats wrong with my unit. i have a Goodman PGB060125-1 REV A gas heat/ AC 5 ton unit. i have had this since it was new, aprox 12 years. in the past couple years i have replace the burner tubes, pressure switch, roll out swich, thermostat, & temp sensor.

before i replaced all this, i had a programmable t-stat. and it got to where i was noticing occasionally, when the temp on the T-stat went from a settin of say, 68 (daytime)up to a 70 (evenings), and then back to 68 for (late night). what was happening is. the unit would work for a couple cycles, then just quit working completely. ok, so after replacing all these components, i seemed to still have the trouble, but not as often.

what i figured out how to bypass this issue is. i would simply unplug the pressure switch, and then re plug it, then unit worked fine for a while. i got so fed up with the hit or miss issue. i just installed an on off switch external of the unit, so when this occured, id just flip switch up, and back down. problem solved ( for a while anyways)

now, this year, the issue is gettin annoying, and im having to flip this switch several times a day. or it might go a few days with no issues. not knowing wether its going to be cold when you wake up, or normal.

any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Mersil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
as seen on tv

Rewards Points: 150

Gas burner lazy

Bypassing a safety device is not a good idea there are reasons for that to open. I would recommend biting the bullet and calling a service company.

Advertisement

qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
how

Rewards Points: 624

Gas burner lazy

The easiest thing to try would be to clean the flame sensor with steel wool or a green scrubby. It sounds like it's locking out the furnace. When you are shutting off the power to the board you are resetting it for another ignition trial.
Can you see a flashing led light on the board that will be giving you a coded fault diagnosis?
Your extra switch to the pressure control is just an un nessesary complication. Just turn off the power to the furnace if you want to reset it again but tracking down what is locking out your furnace (if the flame senser clean doesn't fix it) is what needs to be done.

Last edited by how; 01-13-2012 at 05:16 PM.
how is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

Gas burner lazy

Pull the tube off which attaches between the pressure switch and the draft inducer motor. Unfold a good size paper clip. Insert to clear out both ports where the tube connects to. Replace tube.

Sediment builds up in those ports which in return will not allow the inducer to allow negative air pressure to suck the pressure switch closed thus your unit will not fire.

Good luck.