Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #1

Share |

Garage too hot

I have a detached two stall garage that is my workshop. I moved in winter of 2011. It is partially insulated and has no openings windows. It's siding with a rolled roof.

For the winter, I have a chimney and a gas furnace was fit in. Nice and toasty.
The summer is too hot however. There is not vent ridge or anything.

What's a good way to keep the temps down in the summer? In my mind I have some kind of vent that can be closed for winter but has an automatic fan for summer. But I know little about this type of thing.

GerkyGatzos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #2

Garage too hot

Install an exhaust fan with a backdraft damper that will prevent cold/hot air from entering..you could also fut an insulated cover over it for the winter.

The fan could be wired to operate via a thermostat that starts it when it is too hot and stops it once the garage is back down to an acceptable temperature. However, you may still need some sort of cooling if the temps don't drop enough. But, the fan would be a big help in exhausting the hot air.
You may have to buy a commercial ex fan that mounts in the garage wall to have enough capacity.

techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #3

Garage too hot

Thanks. I made my way to lowes website and found a broan roof mount fan with intern thermostat. Seems like it might work well but no damper. Anyone have a product in mins they could link?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

Garage too hot

Do u know what size u want? Grainger has them in all sizes. Maybe techpappy can help u out with the size. Link below. This one is a 12 inch. Does this look like something that might work for u?

link here

Last edited by jmon; 03-29-2013 at 08:01 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #5

Garage too hot

350 cfm will give you 5/6 changes of air per hour...I don't have any references for this application but would think that would do a decent job.

I would not vent through roof to avoid leaks but mount the fan as high as possible to vent the hot air. Check sources for suitable fan and back draft damper or you could install a goose neck pointing down. If you do then make sure to put screening in to keep critters out. BTW u should also have an inlet air opening in the opposite end of the garage to allow air to flow out e.g. circulation
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #6

Garage too hot

I have one of these in the gable end of my 24x30 shop.

http://www.costco.com/U.S.-Sunlight-....11762416.html
Old 04-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Special User

Garage too hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerkyGatzos View Post
What's a good way to keep the temps down in the summer? In my mind I have some kind of vent that can be closed for winter but has an automatic fan for summer. But I know little about this type of thing.
Where do you live? Your local climate will help us recommend something good for your area...
Old 04-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #8

Garage too hot

A fan needs to be at floor level bringing cooler more dense air in. The discharge for the hotter air should be high on the opposite side of the building and about twice the size one would think reasonable.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #9

Garage too hot

Pennsylvania climate. Two average size stalls.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
Special User

Garage too hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerkyGatzos View Post
Pennsylvania climate. Two average size stalls.
If you beef up your insulation, something like this may work:

Links to other forums are not permitted.

I'm assuming your garage has a concrete floor. Concrete acts as a thermal reservoir -- cool it off at night with outside air, then during the day it will stay fairly cool (IF the building is well insulated).

During the day, you can run a box or oscillating fan to circulate air over the concrete floor, but leave the windows and doors closed to keep the heat outside.

Only when the temperature inside exceeds the outside temperature (not until late evening, hopefully), do you begin bringing in air from outside.

Last edited by beenthere; 04-12-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Removed link to another forum
tylernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #11

Garage too hot

Thx Any suggestions on searching for that examle?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
Special User

Garage too hot

Hm, didn't realize that links to other forums weren't permitted. But if you Google "Exhaust fans for interior venting (drawing in cold night air)" the first hit should be interesting.