Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
Another DIY Zombie

Share |

"G" terminal on Tstats

Have a question about the "G" terminal on most programmable Tstats.

My current system (gas-fired, Hot Air York Modulating Furnace, with LuxPro Tstat), does not have the G terminal wired. Currently, only the RH & W terminals are wired. From what I have read about the G terminal, this typically will allow you to control the fan operation (for my Tstat, it's Auto or On). Auto would have it only run with the normal operation of the unit, ON would be continuous.

Since I have a large woodstove in the basement, connected to the furnace via ductwork, I would like to be able to operate the furnace fan as needed.

When I wired the Tstat, I used standard 3-wire low voltage tstat wire, with one wire not used (it's what I have on hand). Now thinking of it, I can just connect the G terminal at the system board and the G terminal at the Tstat board.

Does this sound OK?

javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #2

"G" terminal on Tstats

That should do the trick..go for it.

HvacWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:55 PM   #3

"G" terminal on Tstats

That should work for you, and I do it the same when I run my Built In Stove (BIS). The problem is the air that comes out is cold and a little bothersome when you walk past a register. If you have a 3 speed blower, let me know if you want to wire in some relays to cut down its speed during non-heating/non-cooling mode.
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
Another DIY Zombie

"G" terminal on Tstats

Actually, it is a 3-speed fan. I am assuming that when I switch to fan only, I will get the speed as it is set on the board. (currently, there is a jumper setting for continuous fan operation, where you can set it to run on low, med or high). I am goint to try it tonight and see what happens.

I will post results.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #5

"G" terminal on Tstats

Quote:
Originally Posted by javan View Post
Actually, it is a 3-speed fan. I am assuming that when I switch to fan only, I will get the speed as it is set on the board. (currently, there is a jumper setting for continuous fan operation, where you can set it to run on low, med or high). I am goint to try it tonight and see what happens.

I will post results.
Go ahead and wire up to the G terminal and see if that works.

Do not change that jumper! If you lower the speed on your fan for when the furnace kicks in you could damage your heat exchanger. On indoor A/C coils it can freeze up the coil. It is possible your furnace/air handler is capable of running your fan on a lower speed when just the fan is on.

Post back if you want to change the fan speed for fan only.
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

"G" terminal on Tstats

If you have a York mod.

Moving that jumper won't do anything to change the blower speed in heating. It only effects the continuous blower speed.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
Another DIY Zombie

"G" terminal on Tstats

Correct about the jumper, I knew that going in.

The fan now works as specified, AUto, Continues, and Clean. Currently I have the jumper set at the mid way point. So, far so good!
Old 02-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #8
Another DIY Zombie

"G" terminal on Tstats

Well, I first tried this with the blower jumper in the minimal position, which was about 40% airflow of the system. I found this setting to be more or less useless, as there was really only a breath of air coming out. I changed it to the middle setting, which is about 70% of the airflow. This is a nice setting.

As an update to this, I did some more reading on the tstat that I am using Lux CAG1500, which has a clean air setting. What this does is it runs the fan a set number of minutes per hour based on your programming, and runs the fan based on the jumper setting. So, I now mostly use the Clean setting during the day, then Auto at night and only run the fan continuous on real cold days when I have a hot wood fire going.

Going to post another question on this system about an aux fan I added in a new post.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #9

"G" terminal on Tstats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac122 View Post
That should work for you, and I do it the same when I run my Built In Stove (BIS). The problem is the air that comes out is cold and a little bothersome when you walk past a register. If you have a 3 speed blower, let me know if you want to wire in some relays to cut down its speed during non-heating/non-cooling mode.
what you got I would be interested in putting in something like this

spudgunman is offline   Reply With Quote