Furnace Is Working But No Heat - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2010, 05:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Furnace is working but no heat

Well with the cold weather almost here I thought to make sure the heat and everything is working.This is the model # I have DGAA077BDTA.It says "Red T Products" on the cover that gos on the front and says "Central Furnace" on a sticker inside.

This is what I have going on.When I turn the T stat on everything works like it should.Electric igniter/pilot comes on then the burner fires up for 15 secs and then the fan comes on.For some odd reason its blowing cool air .Theres a site hole/small glass to look through and it doesn't seem like the burner is hot enough but I could be wrong.I can put my hand on the tube where the burner is (the tube the hot air is sucked from to go to the vents) and its cool also.Im about to pull my camcorder out and take a video so I can post it,im not good at explaining things so the video should tell ya whats going on.Ive been working on cars,trucks ect.. for 18 years so im very good with tools (fixed my watter heater about 2 months ago ),so if someone can walk me through this,that would be awesome .Im on DSL so once I take the video,i'll upload it to youtube and post it when I get up in about 7 hrs..Thanks for any help I can get on this..

Advertisement

Lon1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Not enough gas. I have seen your issue more then a few times and the cause almost always spider egg sacks blocking the burner orifice or screen in the gas valve.

Advertisement

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #3

Hay,thanks so much for the reply marty .So which part is the gas valve?Im guessing its the block that the main gas line runs to or no?Heres the video I took last night .Sounds like your right because it seems its not getting enough gas to the burner and everything worked perfect last year...
Old 09-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #4

I'm on dial up so your 6 minute video would take hours to see. Tried watching it and 15 minutes later I was 7 seconds in LOL. Post a picture and I'll point out the parts to check.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,746

You got a spider's web or egg sack in the burner.

turn the gas off, and pull the burner. Remove orifice and clean out obstruction.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Marty
I'm on dial up so your 6 minute video would take hours to see. Tried watching it and 15 minutes later I was 7 seconds in LOL. Post a picture and I'll point out the parts to check.
Ok,i'll get a few pics posted in a bit.

Quote:
beenthere
You got a spider's web or egg sack in the burner.

turn the gas off, and pull the burner. Remove orifice and clean out obstruction.
Cool and i'll for sure do that in a bit.I'll do this tonight and post pics so Marty can let me know what part hes talking about.Its a good thing I checked this now and not when the snow hits haha.

I asked this when I fixed my watter heater so i'll ask you guys about the furnace.Is pipe tape good to use when I hook the gas back up or should I get the liquid pipe sealer?I used the tape on my watter heater,checked with soapy watter and its all good..
Old 09-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 886

Does your water heater have a good strong flame? I assume you are using natural gas and not Propane. If the water heater is weak then your main gas meter and or regulator from the utility may be failing. Call them and have them check it properly. If it is propane then your regulator may be failing or tank low. The tape is called teflon tape and I recommend the thicker pink version rather than the light duty white stuff. Probably available at HDepot. Some gas inspectors and jurisdictions frown on it and won't approve it. We don't use it here anymore. Pipe dope with a teflon base that is AGA /CGA and UL approved is a sure bet. Not sure if insurance companies like teflon tape either. Don't run the furnace like that or that dirty flame may produce carbon and plug it up. Looks very white and bad to me. Very unstable and that can drop out/restart with delayed ignition and be dangerous.

Last edited by yuri; 09-10-2010 at 09:32 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #8

Marty,heres a pic.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:44 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

Mobil home furnace. You only have one burner.

Pull the burner and DO NOT I repeat DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE ORIFICE!

You can clean the orifice in place. Use a tooth pick. The orifice should be connected to the gas valve. You might also use a shop vak to suck out the debris you loosen up with the tooth pick. Trying to take the orifice off to clean it may cause the orifice to to crack or deform (this happen to me one time but never again). They don't use the best materials in mobile home furnaces regretfully.

I think your flame is not establishing. Clean the sensor while you have the burner out.

Last edited by hvaclover; 09-11-2010 at 12:55 AM.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:12 AM   #10
HVAC / Plumbing

It's been a while since I worked on 1 of those...The best I can remember ,they fire on low fire . then within a few seconds it should come up to high fire.. Maybe the valve isn't going to high fire
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:29 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
It's been a while since I worked on 1 of those...The best I can remember ,they fire on low fire . then within a few seconds it should come up to high fire.. Maybe the valve isn't going to high fire
Hey ken ....marty and dial up service.
~snicker~ dial up service

Last edited by hvaclover; 09-11-2010 at 03:33 AM.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:33 AM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,746

The yellow teflon tape is approved for use on gas pipes.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
The yellow teflon tape is approved for use on gas pipes.
Yeah,i'll go get some tomorrow .I haven't messed with it yet because I rather get the right tape.

Quote:
hvaclover
Mobil home furnace. You only have one burner.

Pull the burner and DO NOT I repeat DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE ORIFICE!

You can clean the orifice in place. Use a tooth pick. The orifice should be connected to the gas valve. You might also use a shop vak to suck out the debris you loosen up with the tooth pick. Trying to take the orifice off to clean it may cause the orifice to to crack or deform (this happen to me one time but never again). They don't use the best materials in mobile home furnaces regretfully.

I think your flame is not establishing. Clean the sensor while you have the burner out.
I'll do all that tomorow for sure.I did see a spider when I looked through the site hole today .

Thanks for all the advice guys and i'll report back asap tomorrow ..
Old 09-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
Hey ken ....marty and dial up service.
~snicker~ dial up service
Hey now don't be making fun of a feller for being cheap. Already had to get basic cable so the wife would stop whining about only getting one tv station and now I'm supposed the splurge on high speed internet? Next thing you'll want me to be buying a phone that does more then make calls!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #15
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 886

Cancel the cable and buy her a few pair of these. One for each channel.
Attached Thumbnails
Furnace is working but no heat-rabbit-ears.jpg  

Advertisement