DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Furnace is working but no heat

24K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Lon1974 
#1 ·
Well with the cold weather almost here I thought to make sure the heat and everything is working.This is the model # I have DGAA077BDTA.It says "Red T Products" on the cover that gos on the front and says "Central Furnace" on a sticker inside.

This is what I have going on.When I turn the T stat on everything works like it should.Electric igniter/pilot comes on then the burner fires up for 15 secs and then the fan comes on.For some odd reason its blowing cool air :( .Theres a site hole/small glass to look through and it doesn't seem like the burner is hot enough but I could be wrong.I can put my hand on the tube where the burner is (the tube the hot air is sucked from to go to the vents) and its cool also.Im about to pull my camcorder out and take a video so I can post it,im not good at explaining things so the video should tell ya whats going on.Ive been working on cars,trucks ect.. for 18 years so im very good with tools (fixed my watter heater about 2 months ago :thumbup: ),so if someone can walk me through this,that would be awesome :thumbsup: .Im on DSL so once I take the video,i'll upload it to youtube and post it when I get up in about 7 hrs..Thanks for any help I can get on this..

#6 ·
Marty
I'm on dial up so your 6 minute video would take hours to see. Tried watching it and 15 minutes later I was 7 seconds in LOL. Post a picture and I'll point out the parts to check.
Ok,i'll get a few pics posted in a bit.

beenthere
You got a spider's web or egg sack in the burner.

turn the gas off, and pull the burner. Remove orifice and clean out obstruction.
Cool and i'll for sure do that in a bit.I'll do this tonight and post pics so Marty can let me know what part hes talking about.Its a good thing I checked this now and not when the snow hits haha.

I asked this when I fixed my watter heater so i'll ask you guys about the furnace.Is pipe tape good to use when I hook the gas back up or should I get the liquid pipe sealer?I used the tape on my watter heater,checked with soapy watter and its all good..

#7 · (Edited)
Does your water heater have a good strong flame? I assume you are using natural gas and not Propane. If the water heater is weak then your main gas meter and or regulator from the utility may be failing. Call them and have them check it properly. If it is propane then your regulator may be failing or tank low. The tape is called teflon tape and I recommend the thicker pink version rather than the light duty white stuff. Probably available at HDepot. Some gas inspectors and jurisdictions frown on it and won't approve it. We don't use it here anymore. Pipe dope with a teflon base that is AGA /CGA and UL approved is a sure bet. Not sure if insurance companies like teflon tape either. Don't run the furnace like that or that dirty flame may produce carbon and plug it up. Looks very white and bad to me. Very unstable and that can drop out/restart with delayed ignition and be dangerous.

#9 · (Edited)
Mobil home furnace. You only have one burner.

Pull the burner and DO NOT I repeat DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE ORIFICE!

You can clean the orifice in place. Use a tooth pick. The orifice should be connected to the gas valve. You might also use a shop vak to suck out the debris you loosen up with the tooth pick. Trying to take the orifice off to clean it may cause the orifice to to crack or deform (this happen to me one time but never again). They don't use the best materials in mobile home furnaces regretfully.

I think your flame is not establishing. Clean the sensor while you have the burner out.

#13 ·
Yeah,i'll go get some tomorrow .I haven't messed with it yet because I rather get the right tape.

hvaclover
Mobil home furnace. You only have one burner.

Pull the burner and DO NOT I repeat DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE ORIFICE!

You can clean the orifice in place. Use a tooth pick. The orifice should be connected to the gas valve. You might also use a shop vak to suck out the debris you loosen up with the tooth pick. Trying to take the orifice off to clean it may cause the orifice to to crack or deform (this happen to me one time but never again). They don't use the best materials in mobile home furnaces regretfully.

I think your flame is not establishing. Clean the sensor while you have the burner out.
I'll do all that tomorow for sure.I did see a spider when I looked through the site hole today :mad: .

Thanks for all the advice guys and i'll report back asap tomorrow :) ..

#18 · (Edited)
LON, you may want to buy a differential manometer for the future. That furnace made by Nordyne has problems later with that plastic air supply fan slowing down/losing capacity. You need to know the "WC ability of it so when it slows down you can troubleshoot it. Did one last year and it develops intermittent pressure switch tripping codes. Let me know if you want to be pre-emptive and I can tell you how to deal with it. Without a manometer you cannot troubleshoot it.http://www.ueitest.com/product-em201.html

Good for checking gas pressures also. Homemade manometer won't work very well or at all with the low pressures that fan produces.

#19 · (Edited)
Just like you said,spider eggs

Well I took the part off and cleaned it out like you guys said and it seems to work better than it did last year haha.This will help the electric bill because the furnace won't stay on as long as it did,she will heat the house faster.The spiders did a number on the small gas hole because I pulled alot of spider nest/eggs out of it.First I pulled some out with a tooth pick like I was told.It was a pretty deep hole so I stuck a long thin piece of solder down in it (went in about 3 1/2 inches) and moved it around to loosen the crap up then blew it out with a can of compressed air :thumbsup: .She blows nice and hot now :thumbup: .,Thanks sooo much and i'll put the video up in a bit.Now I can finish rebuilding this,just crashed it a few days ago .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHYPRQi4q1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CdT5JqyayA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OED-1fN0hHI

#21 ·
Well I took the part off and cleaned it out like you guys said and it seems to work better than it did last year haha.This will help the electric bill because the furnace won't stay on as long as it did,she will heat the house faster.The spiders did a number on the small gas hole because I pulled alot of spider nest/eggs out of it.First I pulled some out with a tooth pick like I was told.It was a pretty deep hole so I stuck a long thin piece of solder down in it (went in about 3 1/2 inches) and moved it around to loosen the crap up then blew it out with a can of compressed air :thumbsup: .She blows nice and hot now :thumbup: .,Thanks sooo much and i'll put the video up in a bit.Now I can finish rebuilding this,just crashed it a few days ago .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHYPRQi4q1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CdT5JqyayA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OED-1fN0hHI

Tooth pick, :thumbsup: solder, it's all good as long as you reached the obstruction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.